This Thai spicy egg fried rice has the perfect balance of spicy and garlicky flavors and is a great one pot meal to put together in under 30 minutes.
Not only is this a great weeknight meal option but it is also a wonderful home-cooked meal to turn to when you’re craving for some of your favorite Thai take out.
You’ll need just a few pantry staples to put this dish together and it is wholesome, comforting and healthy all at the same time.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the Thai spicy egg fried rice, here is what you will need.
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Garlic (finely minced): 2 tbsp
- Red chilies (chopped): 2 tbsp
- Basil leaves (shredded): 7-8 leaves
- Cherry tomatoes (halved): ½ cup
- Mixed herb seasoning: 1.5 tbsp
- Paprika powder: 1 tsp
- Eggs: 2
- Salt: ½ teaspoon or as per taste
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Rice (cooked): 1.5 cups
- Basil leaves: For garnish
How to Make the Thai Spicy Egg Fried Rice
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here is what you will need to do to make Thai spicy fried rice.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and red chilies saute for 2 minutes or until the smell of the garlic disappears.
Add the shredded basil leaves next and saute.
Add in the cherry tomatoes and mix. Saute for 1 minute.
Next, add the mixed herb seasoning and paprika powder. Saute and mix well.
Add the eggs next followed by the salt and pepper. Mix everything well and saute until the egg is cooked and it forms crumbs.
Add the cooked rice next and mix well.
Serve hot after garnishing with basil leaves.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have added only cherry tomatoes into the fried rice, but you can also add other veggies of your choice.
Choose Thai specialities like baby corn, broccoli, Bok choy, zucchini, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms.
Finely chopped or sliced green onions also make for a nice addition to this dish.
If you have any leftover rice, just transfer it to an airtight container after it has cooled down completely and then refrigerate it.
It should stay fresh for 2 to 3 days, and you can reheat it in the microwave with a little sprinkle of water or in a pan over the stove top.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Thai Spicy Egg Fried Rice
Think you’re ready to give this easy recipe a try? Here are a few tips and tricks you might want to take note of.
- To make the Thai spicy egg fried rice more nutritious and healthy, you can add some shredded chicken into it.
- Looking for a vegetarian protein source? Some crumbled tofu can be a good option to choose.
- Another great idea to add more flavor and nutrition to this dish is to cook the rice in vegetable or chicken stock instead of water
- Make sure you choose long grain rice for this recipe. Also remember to rinse the rice thoroughly until it runs clean and remove all the excess starch to get the rice is nice and fluffy
- To add a little pop of color and lend the dish some umami flavors, you can add some soy sauce as well.
- If you want to balance the spicy flavors of this dish you can throw in some palm sugar or brown sugar to bring a touch of sweetness.
- Make sure you use a good quality wok or pan for this recipe. Doing this will ensure that the rice is nice and fluffy and doesn’t stick to the pan.
- You can also use the leftover rice for this recipe. Simply moisten your hands and use them to break up any clumps of rice before using them for this recipe.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This flavourful and spicy egg fried rice can be served as a complete meal on its own or teamed up with nice hot sauce or a drizzle of chili oil
If you want to make it a part of a complete Thai meal, you can pair it with any Thai soup of your choice. My Instant Pot spring onion and coriander soup is a great option.
I personally love serving it with some of my dumplings in hot garlic sauce.
Enjoyed this flavor packed Thai recipe? Here are a few more Thai recipes to get you inspired.
Thai Spicy Egg Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon Garlic , (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoon Red Chilies , (chopped)
- 8 leaves Basil Leaves , (shredded)
- ½ cup Cherry Tomatoes , (halved)
- 1.5 tablespoon Mixed Herb Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Paprika Powder
- 2 pcs Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1.5 cups Rice , (cooked)
- Basil Leaves, (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and red chilies saute for 2 minutes or until the smell of the garlic disappears.
- Add the shredded basil leaves next and saute.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes and mxi. Saute for 1 minute.
- Next, add the mixed herb seasoning and paprika powder. Saute and mix well.
- Add the eggs next followed by the salt and pepper. Mix everything well and saute until the egg is cooked and it forms crumbs.
- Add the cooked rice next and mix well.
- Serve hot after garnishing with basil leaves.