There’s nothing like getting all cozy on the couch with a bowl of piping hot noodle soup on a cold winter night, and if that’s what you’re craving, you definitely need to give this lemongrass ginger vegetable broth recipe a shot.
This version of the noodle soup is super easy to put together, and packs in the powerful flavors of lemongrass and ginger, which offer numerous health benefits, and also help fight cold and cough.
Ready to give this flavor loaded recipe a shot? Here’s all you need to know about it before you do.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the lemongrass ginger vegetable broth.
For the broth
- Oil: ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Garlic: 7-8 cloves
- Ginger (roughly chopped): 1 inch
- Lemongrass (roughly cut): 1 stalk
- Onion (roughly cut): ½
- Carrot (roughly cut): 1
- Chicken soup bones: 4-5
- Salt: ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Stock cubes: 2 small
- Water: 5 cups
- Coriander stem: A bunch
For the broth noodle meal
- Boiled noodles: 1 cup
- Prepared broth
- Chili oil: As required
- Coriander leaves (chopped): For garnish
How to Make the Lemongrass Ginger Vegetable Broth
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to bring the broth together.
Heat oil in a deep-bottomed vessel. Add in cumin seeds.
Add the garlic and ginger next. Saute.
Add the lemongrass.
Next, add in the onions and carrots. Saute.
Add in the soup bones.
Season with salt and pepper. Saute.
Add in the stock cubes. Mix.
Add the water next and mix well.
Add in the coriander stems and mix well.
Pressure cook the mixture for 4-5 whistles or boil for 40-45 minutes.
Once the mixture is ready, strain the mixture and preserve the liquid.
For the meal, add the boiled noodles to a bowl.
Next, top it up with the preserved broth.
Add some chili oil and serve hot after garnishing with greens.
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the best parts about this recipe is the fact that it is super customizable- you can add in your choice of veggies and ingredients based on what you have at hand. You can add in some chopped mushrooms, bok choy, spinach, bell peppers, zucchini and even broccoli into the mix.
To get more protein into this soup, you can also add some shredded chicken or fresh shrimp into it.
Yes, you can definitely try a vegetarian version of this noodle soup too. Just skip adding the chicken bones, and use a veggie based stock cube instead of a chicken stock cube.
If you can’t find fresh lemongrass, you can make do with 2-3 lemon verbena leaves or kaffir lime leaves instead. If you don’t have any of these, just add some lemon zest and freshly squeezed lemon juice into the mix.
You sure can! You can prepare the broth up to 2 days in advance and then put the dish together when you want to. You can also freeze it for months if you want to.
Your leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Just remember to allow the broth to cool down and then transfer it to a glass jar or an airtight container before you refrigerate it.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Lemongrass Ginger Vegetable Broth
Ready to nail this incredibly simple and flavorful recipe? Wait up! You might want to have these little tips and tricks handy.
- To lend more flavor and deliciousness to this lemongrass ginger vegetable broth, add a dash of fish sauce into it.
- If you’re making a vegetarian version of this soup, you may want to add some mushroom stock to lend the dish a more intense flavor.
- Want some umami to the broth? You can add a dash of light or dark soy sauce into the mix.
- To make this noodle soup dish more creamy and delicious, you can also add some coconut milk into it and let it simmer for a few extra minutes.
- To get some Thai flavors into the dish, you can add some freshly chopped Thai basil into it.
- Don’t forget to top the broth with a generous sprinkle of the chopped herbs of your choice. You can stick to cilantro, or even use green onions if you have them at hand.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
With the noodles thrown in, this lemongrass ginger vegetable broth actually becomes a hearty meal in itself. If you really want to go the extra mile, you can serve it with some side sauces to lend it some extra deliciousness.
Loved how this soup turned out? Inspired enough to try some more fun and interesting soup recipes? Here are a few comforting ones you might want to try out.
Lemongrass Ginger Vegetable Broth
Ingredients For the broth
- ½ tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger , (roughly chopped)
- 1 stalk Lemongrass , (roughly cut)
- ½ pc Onion , (roughly cut)
- 1 pc Carrot , (roughly cut)
- 4 pcs Chicken soup bones
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 small Stock cubes
- 5 cups Water
- 1 bunch Coriander stem
Ingredients For the broth noodle meal
- 1 cup Boiled noodles
- 1 bowl Prepared broth
- 1 tablespoon Chili oil
- 1 sprig Coriander leaves, (chopped)
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed vessel. Add in cumin seeds.
- Add the garlic and ginger next. Saute.
- Add the lemongrass.
- Next, add in the onions and carrots. Saute.
- Add in the soup bones.
- Season with salt and pepper. Saute.
- Add in the stock cubes. Mix.
- Add the water next and mix well.
- Add in the coriander stems and mix well.
- Pressure cook the mixture for 4-5 whistles or boil for 40-45 minutes.
- Once the mixture is ready, strain the mixture and preserve the liquid.
- For the meal, add the boiled noodles to a boil.
- Next, top it up with the preserved broth.
- Add some chili oil and serve hot after garnishing with greens.