Rammed with beans and seasonings and loaded with flavor and heartiness, this Instant Pot Mexican beans soup is an absolute must try. It is an easy one pot meal that takes just minutes to prep and put together, and is perfect for the colder months of the year.
Read on to get a quick rundown of everything you need to know about making the nutritious and filling soup.
Ingredients For the Recipe
A simple set of ingredients is all you need to make this Instant Pot Mexican beans soup.
- Kidney beans (soaked overnight): ⅔ cup
- Onions (chopped): ½ cup
- Coriander leaves: A bunch
- Garlic cloves: 4-5
- Bay leaves: 1-2
- Water: 4 cups
- Black pepper powder: 1 tbsp
- Chicken Bouillon: 2 tbsps
- Thyme (dried): 2 tbsps
- Paprika powder: 1 tbsp
- Spring onions (chopped): For garnish
How to Make the Instant Pot Mexican Beans Soup
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the soup from scratch.
Add all the ingredients into the instant pot. Give a good mix so that everything is properly mixed.
Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual Pressure Cook mode for 40 minutes, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position.
Let the pressure release naturally before removing the lid. Give it a good stir.
Serve hot after sprinkling chopped spring onions on it.
Frequently Asked Questions
You definitely can! While kidney beans are the best choice for this recipe, you can also use pinto beans, black beans, Lima beans, cannellini beans or even chickpeas.
You can use canned or cooked beans- just remember to drain away all the excess liquid and then use the beans for the recipe.
One of the best things about this soup is the fact that it can be prepped in advance, and is freezer friendly too. You can prep the soup in advance- just don’t add the beans, and refrigerate it for upto 2 days, or freeze it for months. Then, when you want to put it together, just get the soup upto a boil, add the beans in, and let it simmer for a few minutes.
There’s a lot more that you can throw into this versatile soup than just what’s on the ingredients list. Chopped up veggies like bell peppers, zucchini, celery stalk and even corn kernels all taste delicious and hearty when added to the soup.
Tortilla chips can also be added into the soup to bulk it up and to lend the soup a bit more texture.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Instant Pot Mexican Beans Soup
Making the soup might be super simple, but keeping these little tips and tricks in mind and implementing them can really make things easier.
- To make a vegan version of the soup, use veg soup bouillon instead of the chicken bouillon.
- Want to make the soup more tangy and flavorful? Add some chopped (or canned) tomatoes into the mix.
- To add a bit of heat to the soup, add some chopped jalapenos or chipotle peppers.
- You can also add some taco seasoning into the soup to give it that little extra kick.
- Grated cheese makes for a delicious addition to the soup- stick to strong cheeses like cheddar to enjoy maximum flavor.
- To balance the tanginess of the soup and bring in a little creamy flavor, you can add a tablespoon of whisked yogurt into it.
- To lend the soup a rich thickness, add some cornflour slurry into it, and allow it to simmer for a few minutes while stirring continuously.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
The Instant Pot Mexican beans soup tastes amazing on its own, when served piping hot. You can also take it a step further and top it with some guacamole or some tortilla chips on the side. Toasted bread also tastes great when served with the soup. Don’t forget to top the soup with a sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves and some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Enjoyed trying your hands at this warm and comforting soup? Tempted to try out some more such delicious soup recipes? Here are a few handpicked ones you have to try out!
Instant Pot Mexican Beans Soup
- ⅔ cup Kidney beans , (soaked overnight)
- ½ cup Onions , (chopped)
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves
- 4-5 pcs Garlic cloves
- 1-2 pcs Bay leaves
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
- 2 tablespoon Thyme , (dried)
- 1 tablespoon Paprika powder
- 1 bunch Spring onions , (chopped) for garnish
- Add all the ingredients into the instant pot. Give a good mix so that everything is properly mixed.
- Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual Pressure Cook mode for 40 minutes, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position.
- Let the pressure release naturally before removing the lid. Give it a good stir.
- Serve hot after sprinkling chopped spring onions on it.