With a simple set of ingredients and a simpler process, this Filipino chicken Asado recipe is all set to become your next favorite easy to whip up meals when you’re looking for an easy and versatile home cooked meal.
But before you jump right into the recipe, here’s everything you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the Filipino chicken Asado.
For the chicken marination
- Chicken (with bones): 250 grams
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
For the Asado
- Potatoes (cubed): 1 cup
- Carrots (cubed): 1 cup
- Marinated chicken
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf: 2-3
- Star anise: 2
- Onions (finely chopped): ½ cup
- Chicken broth: ½ cup
- Soy sauce: 2 tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce: 1 tbsp
- Calamansi juice: 1 tbsp
How to Make the Filipino Chicken Asado
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s how you can put the dish together.
Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
Marinate the chicken with salt and black pepper powder. Let it rest for about 20 minutes.
Next, air fry the potatoes, carrots, and the marinated chicken at 350°F for 15 minutes.
Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add the bay leaves and the star anise.
Add in the chopped onions next and saute until they become translucent.
Add the air fried potatoes, carrots, and chicken next and saute.
Add the chicken broth next and mix well.
Next add in the soya sauce, worcestershire sauce, and the calamansi juice. Give it a good mix.
Serve hot with rice of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use practically any cut of chicken you prefer. Bone-in chicken is great, because it has more flavor, but if you have some frozen chicken breasts waiting to be put to use, you could totally go for them instead.
Just remember to use chicken chunks that are nearly the same size and thickness, to ensure that they are all cooked well.
Want the Filipino chicken Asado to be more saucy? You can add some chopped tomatoes or a bit of tomato paste into the mix- bonus points if you throw in some chopped red onions too. If you’re doing this, remember that you’ll need to increase the amount of seasonings and other ingredients a bit more to get that perfect flavorful dish that you’re looking for.
You definitely can- this recipe is actually great for meal prep! The chicken can be marinated upto a day in advance and refrigerated or even frozen. The sauce can also be prepared in a batch and refrigerated in a glass jar. Then, when you want to put the dish together, all you need to do is air fry the chicken along with the veggies, and combine them all with the sauce.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Filipino Chicken Asado
While making the dish is super easy, you can make the process simpler by keeping these additional tips and hacks in mind.
- Don’t have calamansi juice? You can substitute it with an equal amount of lemon juice.
- Got any leftovers? You can transfer them to an airtight container and refrigerate them for upto 3 days.
- While the simplicity of the recipe is what makes it such a big success, if you have a few extra minutes, you can also throw in some more chopped veggies of your choice to make it a more nutritious and healthy meal.
- Want to cut down the tanginess of the sauce? Add just a teeny bit of sugar and give it all a good mix.
- Don’t have an air fryer? You can actually put everything together in a pot too! Just remember to add the sauce only after the chicken and the veggies have all cooked well.
- To get some extra flavor and deliciousness, pan sear the chicken, deglaze the pan with some stock and then proceed to use it for the recipe.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Traditionally, Filipino chicken Asado tastes best when paired with some steamed rice, but you can also try things a bit differently and use naan or any flatbread to mop up all that delicious sauce.
Loved trying out this recipe? Looking for some more such simple yet flavorful recipes that you can replicate in your kitchen? Here are a few you might want to get started on.
- Vegan Chicken Kofta Meatballs in Curry Sauce
- Assamese Boror Tenga: Sour Curry with Fritters
- Instant Pot Yogurt Aloo Gravy
Filipino Chicken Asado
Ingredients for the chicken marination
- 250 grams Chicken , (with bones)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
Ingredients for the Asado
- 1 cup Potatoes , (cubed)
- 1 cup Carrots , (cubed)
- 1 bowl Marinated chicken
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 3 pcs Bay leaf
- 2 pcs Star anise
- ½ cup Onions , (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Calamansi juice
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken with salt and black pepper powder. Let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Next, air fry the potatoes, carrots, and the marinated chicken at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add the bay leaves and the star anise.
- Add in the chopped onions next and saute until they become translucent.
- Add the air fried potatoes, carrots, and chicken next and saute.
- Add the chicken broth next and mix well.
- Next add in the soya sauce, worcestershire sauce, and the calamansi juice. Give it a good mix.
- Serve hot with rice of your choice.