Tender and juicy chicken, cooked to perfection with broccoli florets, all coated in a delicious spicy and umami sauce- that’s what this chicken broccoli stir fry recipe is all about.
While the recipe is super easy to replicate, you might want to keep a few additional things in mind. Read on…
Ingredients For the Recipe
The list of ingredients for this recipe is super simple and easy.
- Oil: 2 tbsps
- Chicken (boneless): 300 grams
- Onions (sliced): 1 cup
- Broccoli (florets): 2 cups
- Mushroom (halved): 1 cup
- Light soya sauce: ⅔ cups
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar: 1 tbsp
- Red chili flakes: 2 tbsps
- Ginger garlic powder: 1 tbsp
- Corn flour: 3 tbsps
- Water: ¼ cup
- Spring onions (chopped): For garnish
How to Make the Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do next to put the dish together.
Heat oil in a pan/skillet. Add the chicken pieces into the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Next, add the onions and saute for a minute.
Add the broccoli florets next and saute for 2 minutes.
Next add in the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
While the veggies are cooking, prepare the sauce. Take a mixing bowl and add the light soya sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, red chili flakes, and ginger garlic powder. Mix well.
Add the prepared sauce to the pan with the chicken and veggies and mix well.
To adjust the consistency of the sauce, prepare a cornflour slurry by mixing cornflour and water. Add the slurry into the pan and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps.
Adjust the seasoning if required.
Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot with rice of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken and broccoli may be the key ingredients, but don’t limit yourself there. If you want to experiment, you can always throw in some more veggies of your choice- asparagus, cauliflower florets, bell peppers, zucchini, baby corn, carrots and cherry tomatoes are all great choices.
Make sure you cut them roughly the same size, so that they are all well cooked through.
While this recipe does not ask you to marinate the chicken, you can totally do that to get the texture of the chicken even more juicy and tender. Just add some salt, black pepper, a bit of soy sauce and vinegar to the bowl containing the chicken, cover it with a lid or cling wrap and allow it to marinate for anywhere between 30 minutes to 8 hours.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
Ready to give this super easy recipe a try? Keep these little tips and hacks handy to nail the flavors and textures.
- Make sure you use a heavy bottomed pan, a wok or a cast iron skillet for this recipe. This will ensure that your chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Remember not to overcrowd the pan, and always cook at medium to high heat.
- To get that pop of green color from the broccoli, you can quickly blanch it and then add it to the mix.
- Want a bit of heat? Throw in some chopped green chillies or a dash of hot sauce.
- To enhance the flavor of the chicken broccoli stir fry dish, you can also add some oyster sauce or fish sauce along with the other seasonings.
- You can also try experimenting with different proteins to bring a little variation- shrimp and beef are great choices to opt for.
- Want a bit of texture? Top the stir fry with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds or some crunchy burnt garlic.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
While this chicken broccoli stir fry recipe is the perfect easy appetizer that you can whip up and serve as is, you can also tweak the recipe a bit and transform it into a main by making it more saucy and teaming it up with some steamed rice, fried rice or noodles. And if you really want to go the extra mile, whip up a quick soup like the Instant Pot chicken soup or Instant Pot veggie loaded soup.
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 300 grams Chicken , (boneless)
- 1 cup Onions , (sliced)
- 2 cup Brocolli , (florets)
- 1 cup Mushroom , (halved)
- ⅔ cup Light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon Red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic powder
- 3 tablespoon Corn flour
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 bunch Spring onions , (chopped for garnishing)
- Heat oil in a pan/skillet. Add the chicken pieces into the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the onions and saute for a minute.
- Add the broccoli florets next and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add in the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare the sauce. Take a mixing bowl and add the light soya sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, red chili flakes, and ginger garlic powder. Mix well.
- Add the prepared sauce to the pan with the chicken and veggies and mix well.
- To adjust the consistency of the sauce, prepare a corn flour slurry by mixing corn flour and water. Add the slurry into the pan and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Adjust the seasoning if required.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot with rice of your choice.