There’s nothing a bowl of hot soup can’t fix, so don’t be surprised if this flavorful Instant Pot spring onion and coriander soup becomes your next favorite comfort food.
Incredibly easy to make and so versatile and delicious- you’ve definitely got to give this recipe a shot. But before you do, here’s all you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
The list of ingredients to make this Instant Pot spring onion and coriander soup is short and super simple.
- Butter: 2 tbsps
- Garlic (finely minced): 1 tbsp
- Ginger (finely minced): 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf: 1
- Spring onions (chopped): 1 cup
- Chicken broth: 1.5 cups
- Black pepper powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped): ¼ cup
How to Make the Instant Pot Spring Onion and Coriander Soup
Making the soup is super easy. Once you have your Instant Pot and the ingredients ready, here’s what you need to put the soup together.
Turn on the Instant Pot and set to saute mode. Once it's heated, add in butter.
Once the butter starts to heat up, add in the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger, and bay leaf.
Add in the chopped spring onions. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add in the chicken broth next and mix.
Next, add the black pepper powder, salt, and lemon zest.
Add in the chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual Pressure Cook mode for 10 minutes, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position.
Let the pressure release naturally before removing the lid. Give it a good stir.
Serve hot after sprinkling some crushed black pepper.
Frequently Asked Questions
While this simple soup tastes great on its own, you can also throw in some other ingredients to enhance its nutritive value or to add more bulk and texture to the soup.
You can add chopped veggies like carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, cabbage, bok choy, green beans, sliced mushrooms, broccoli florets, golden corn, and even chopped greens like spinach and kale.
While this spring onion and coriander soup is essentially a thin, runny and clear soup, you can choose to thicken it too, if that’s what you want. You can add a bit of heavy cream into the mix and let the soup simmer for a few minutes, or add a simple cornflour slurry and let it thicken- it all depends on your personal preference.
You sure can! Remember that the spring onions and coriander taste best when they are added fresh into the soup, so it makes sense to prep the rest of the soup and store it for later.
Then, when you want to serve it, add the spring onions and coriander and let the soup simmer for a few minutes before you serve. You can refrigerate the soup if you plan to consume it within 2 days, and if you want to extend its shelf life beyond that, you can freeze it too.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Instant Pot Spring Onion and Coriander Soup
While making this soup is super easy, you might want to keep these additional tips and tricks in mind to make sure you hit the right flavors.
- Want to try a vegan version of this recipe? Use olive oil instead of butter, and swap the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
- Don’t mind a bit of a spicy kick in the soup? Chop up some green chillies and add them to the mix along with the other spices and aromatics. And of course, you can always just sprinkle some red pepper flakes and be done with it.
- Love the tanginess and citrusy notes lemon brings into the soup? Emphasize it by adding some lemongrass into the soup.
- To lend a bit of umami flavor, you can also add some soy sauce into the soup.
- Want to make the soup more filling? Add a cup of leftover cooked rice towards the end, and allow it to simmer for a couple of minutes. You can also use boiled pasta instead of rice.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This simple and easy soup can be enjoyed on its own on a cold winter night or when you’re feeling a bit under the weather. You can also serve it with some crusty bread on the side.
To make it more nutritious and healthy, you can also pair it with some crunchy salad on the side.
Enjoyed this flavor loaded and delicious soup? Here are a few other soup recipes you need to check out.
Instant Pot Spring Onion and Coriander Soup
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , (finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger , (finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 1 pc Bay leaf
- 1 cup Spring onions , (chopped)
- 1.5 cup Chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pcs Lemon zest
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves , (finely chopped)
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode. Once it's heated, add in butter.
- Once the butter starts to heat up, add in the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger, and bay leaf.
- Add in the chopped spring onions. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth next and mix.
- Next, add the black pepper powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Add in the chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual Pressure Cook mode for 10 minutes, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position.
- Let the pressure release naturally before removing the lid. Give it a good stir.
- Serve hot after sprinkling some crushed black pepper.