Super rich and comforting, this creamy potato soup recipe is all set to become your next favorite whether you’re looking for a quick and easy meal to whip up, or are just craving for a warm soup that soothes your soul.
Ready to give this incredibly easy Instant Pot soup recipe a shot? Here’s what you need to know about it before you do.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just a few simple, classic ingredients to put this flavorful and creamy potato soup ready.
For the first phase
- Butter: 2 tbsps
- Garlic (finely chopped): 2 tbsps
- Onions (chopped): ½ cup
- Potatoes (cubed): 1 large whole
- Chicken broth: 1 cup
For the second phase
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Garlic (finely chopped): 1 tbsps
- Prepared Potato paste
- Mixed Italian herbs: 1.5 tbsps
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Cream: ½ cup
- Croutons: For garnish
- Coriander leaves (chopped): For garnish
How to Make the Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
Got all the essentials ready? Here’s what you need to do next to make the soup from scratch.
Turn on the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode. Once it's heated, add in the butter.
Next add the garlic and saute.
Next goes the onions and potatoes and saute for 1 minute.
Add the chicken broth next and let it come to a quick boil.
Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual Pressure Cook mode for 10 minutes, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position.
Let the pressure release naturally before removing the lid. Give it a good stir.
Once the pressure is released, blend the mixture into a smooth paste using a hand blender. Ensure that there are no lumps.
Keep the blended mixture aside.
In the same pot, add the butter. Once it gets heated up, add the garlic and saute.
Add in the blended potato mixture next and give a good mix.
Next, put in the mixed Italian herbs and salt.
Add the cream next and give it a good stir.
Transfer the soup to a bowl.
Garnish with the croutons and chopped green coriander leaves.
Frequently Asked Questions
Russet potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes are the best choice to make this Instant Pot creamy potato soup. They have just the right balance of starch and lend the soup a delicious, savory flavor that you’re looking for.
While it is best to stick to the simple, classic flavors of the ingredients that the recipe calls for, you can also take it a step further and experiment with other flavors and additions if you want to.
For instance, if you prefer a little kick of spice in your soup, you can add some red pepper flakes or a bit of paprika. If you want a bit of texture, throw in some of your favorite chopped veggies like baby corn, carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini or even peas.
You sure can! All you need to do is make a couple of careful swaps and you should be good to go! Ditch the chicken stock and use any veggie stock or just plain water, swap the cream for non-dairy cream and the butter for olive oil- it is that simple!
You could also throw in some nutritional yeast or some vegan cheese to make the potato soup richer and more scrumptious.
It is best to finish up any leftovers within a day or two. This potato soup is one of those recipes that cannot be stored for too long, and that’s simply because the texture of the soup gets changed, regardless of whether you store it in the freezer or the refrigerator.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
Making this creamy potato soup is super easy, but you can’t say no to these little actionable tips and hacks that will help you nail the recipe on the first try.
- Need to thicken your soup? Add some more heavy cream into it and let it simmer for another couple of minutes.
- While the recipe needs you to blend out the potatoes and other ingredients into a smooth mixture, you can leave the chunky bits and skip the blending process if you love some texture in your soup.
- To lend the soup a richer, more luxurious taste and flavor, add a generous portion of grated cheese. Remember that if you’re adding cheese, you’ll need to adjust the amount of salt you’re adding in accordingly.
- Want your potato soup to have a thicker texture? Heat some butter in a pan, add a tablespoon of flour and let it cook for a minute. Then add a cup of milk and mix well, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Combine this with the potato soup and let it simmer for an additional minute.
- Experiment with the toppings to your heart’s content- think chopped herbs like coriander and chives or some spring onion greens for some extra freshness.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your bowl of creamy potato soup tastes fantastic when served with a side of crusty bread or some homemade garlic bread. You can also team the soup up with a simple pasta dish or a side salad to make it a complete, filling meal.
Enjoyed this bowl of comforting soup? On the hunt for some more filling and healthy soup recipes? Here are a few good ones you might want to check out.
Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
Ingredients for the first phase
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoon Garlic , (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Onions , (chopped)
- 1 whole Potatoes , (cubed)
- 1 cup Chicken broth
Ingredients for the second phase
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Prepared Potato paste
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Cream
- 1 cup Croutons, For garnish
- 1 cup Coriander leaves, (chopped for garnish)
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode. Once it's heated, add in the butter.
- Next add the garlic and saute.
- Next goes the onions and potatoes and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth next and let it come to a quick boil.
- Put on the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual Pressure Cook mode for 10 minutes, making sure that the valve is in the sealing position.
- Let the pressure release naturally before removing the lid. Give it a good stir.
- Once the pressure is released, blend the mixture into a smooth paste using a hand blender. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- Keep the blended mixture aside.
- In the same pot, add the butter. Once it gets heated up, add the garlic and saute.
- Add in the blended potato mixture next and give a good mix.
- Next, put in the mixed Italian herbs and salt.
- Add the cream next and give it a good stir.
- Transfer the soup to a bowl.
- Garnish with the croutons and chopped green coriander leaves.
- Serve hot!
Hi thank you for sharing recipe . You forgot to mention Italian herbs measurement . Would you please tell how much? Thanks