This Instant Pot mango rice recipe is perfect when you’ve got a couple of raw mangoes waiting to be put to use, or you just want to try your hands at some flavorful variations you can bring to rice. A short ingredients list, a few minutes of kitchen time, and an incredibly delicious end result- it doesn’t get better than this.
Scroll down and read on to understand everything you need to know about the recipe.
Ingredients For the Recipe
With a list of ingredients this short, you can get started on trying out this Instant Pot mango rice recipe right away.
- Oil: 2 tbsps
- Mustard seeds: 1 tbsp
- Chana dal: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Dry red chilies: 2-3
- Peanuts (roasted): ½ cup
- Raw mango (grated): ½ cup
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chili powder: 2 tsps
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Rice (cooked): 1 cup
How to Make the Instant Pot Mango Rice
Got everything ready? Here’s what you need to do next.
Turn on the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode. Once it's heated, add in oil, mustard seeds, dry red chilies, chana dal, and curry leaves. Let them sizzle.
Add the roasted peanuts next and saute for half a minute.
Add in the raw mango and saute. Let it cook for a minute.
Next, add the powdered spices and mix well.
Add in the cooked rice next and mix.
Frequently Asked Questions
You don’t need to, but it really helps. Soaking your rice (and lentils) at least an hour before you plan to use them is always a good idea. It doesn’t just help cut down the cooking time, but also reduces the levels of arsenic in it.
That’s not all- soaking the rice also makes it easier to digest- the process helps cut down the levels of phytic acid, which in turn, also makes the nutrients in rice easily available.
While this classic recipe tastes great as is, you can also throw in some other veggies into the mix to make it more of a filling dish. Veggies like carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, potatoes and tomatoes can be chopped up and added into the rice. You can also add green beans or peas- remember that if you’re adding any veggies, you’ll need to adjust the amount of spice and salt accordingly.
This Instant Pot mango rice recipe is actually an excellent way to use up any leftover rice that you might have. And if you ended up making this in a big batch, you can refrigerate it for upto 4 days.
Just remember to allow the rice to cool down completely, transfer it to an airtight container and then refrigerate it.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Instant Pot Mango Rice
Ready to give this incredibly simple recipe a try? Don’t forget these little tips and tricks, which, if implemented, can really make a difference in how your Instant Pot mango rice turns out.
- Prefer your rice soft and fluffy? Another cool trick to get those perfect, separate grains of rice is to cook them separately until they are just about done, and then toss them into the tempering. Remember to allow the rice to cool down first, and then toss it into the tempering.
- Is your raw mango lacking that tangy and sour flavor? Compensate by adding some lemon juice or tamarind paste (or pulp) to the rice.
- Not a fan of the sourness of raw mango? Balance it out by adding some jaggery into the mix.
- Don’t have roasted peanuts? You can pan-fry whole peanuts and use them, or use the crushed variety- it all depends on what you prefer.
- You can also sprinkle some grated coconut on the top before you serve- this will lend a nice bit of texture and richness to the mango rice, and will also add to its nutritive value.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This South Indian style raw mango rice tastes great on its own, or when paired with a simple side salad or a bowl of yogurt- it’s that simple. If you really want to go the extra mile, you can serve it with some appetizer like some fenugreek pakoras or tandoori potatoes and some green chutney.
Still got some raw mangoes left? You might also want to try your hands at this flavorful South Indian raw mango salad with sprouts.
Easy Instant Pot Mango Rice
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2-3 pcs Dry red chilies
- ½ cup Peanuts , (roasted)
- ½ cup Raw mango , (grated)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Rice , (cooked)
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode. Once it's heated, add in oil, mustard seeds, dry red chilies, chana dal, and curry leaves. Let them sizzle.
- Add the roasted peanuts next and saute for half a minute.
- Add in the raw mango and saute. Let it cook for a minute.
- Next, add the powdered spices and mix well.
- Add in the cooked rice next and mix.
- Serve hot.