Bursting with flavor in every bite and super healthy at the same time, this Indian inspired raw mango salad recipe is one you definitely need to try out. All it takes is a few minutes of kitchen time and a bunch of healthy ingredients to put this nutritious salad together, and once you give it a try, there’s no going back- I promise!
Tempted already? Scroll down to get a quick rundown of everything you need to know about the recipe.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to make this South Indian style raw mango salad.
- Raw mango (diced): 1 cup
- Moong sprouts (soaked overnight): 1 cup
- Onions (chopped): ¼ cup
- Green chilies (chopped): 1 tbsp
- Peanuts (roasted and crushed): ¼ cup
- Mint leaves (chopped): 2 tbsp
- Tamarind paste: 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder: 2 tsps
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Black salt: 1 tsp
How to Make the Raw Mango Salad with Sprouts
No fancy kitchen tools or equipment is needed to make this salad. Here’s all that you need to do.
Take a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients one by one. Mix them well.
Serve as a side salad dish with meals.
Frequently Asked Questions
This tangy and flavorful salad is actually super versatile- you can add a lot of other veggies to it. Chopped tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and bell peppers are all great choices. You can also add some tofu, crumbled feta cheese or some grilled cottage cheese cubes into the salad to make it more filling and turn it into a nice light lunch. Boiled potatoes can also add an extra dimension to the salad.
Remember that if you’re adding in more ingredients, you’ll need to compensate by adding more seasonings.
You sure can! Sprouted beans are always better, since they are significantly more nutrient dense, and are much easier to digest too. While you can use virtually any sprouted beans of your choice, sprouted chickpeas are the best choice, since they are pretty versatile and easily available too.
You can! You can combine all the ingredients except the tamarind, salt, chili powder and pepper, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it for upto 2 days. Then, when you plan to serve it, just season it accordingly and enjoy!
Any leftover raw mango salad can be refrigerated and stored for up to a day. The reason why most salad leftovers cannot be stored for longer than that is because the veggies that make up the salad tend to lose water with time, and the salad can end up mushy and limp if stored beyond that.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Raw Mango Salad with Sprouts
You can’t go wrong with a simple two step process of making this salad, but having these little tips and tricks handy can really help.
- If you aren’t comfortable with the ‘rawness’ of sprouts, you can also pressure cook them until they are soft, drain off the excess water and then use them for the recipe.
- If you don’t have tamarind paste or just want to have a toned down, mild taste to your salad, you can use freshly squeezed lemon juice instead.
- Don’t have green mangoes? You can try the same recipe using ripe mangoes too. Just make sure you use firm mangoes, and cut them right before you plan to make the salad.
- Want to add a nice pop of color and a little crunch factor to your salad? Top it with some pomegranate arils.
- To enjoy a fun twist to this salad, sprinkle some spiced sev or crushed peanuts over the top, right before you serve.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This South Indian style raw mango salad tastes amazing when served with any Indian curry, or even as a healthy evening snack.
Surprised at how easy it was to replicate the recipe in your kitchen? On the lookout for some more easy and healthy salad recipes that you can try out? Here are a few you might want to look at.
South Indian Raw Mango Salad with Sprouts
- 1 cup Raw mango , (diced)
- 1 cup Moong sprouts , (soaked overnight)
- ¼ cup Onions , (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Green chilies , (chopped)
- ¼ cup Peanuts , (roasted and crushed)
- 2 tablespoon Mint leaves , (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Black salt
- Take a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients one by one. Mix them well.
- Serve as a side salad dish with meals.