Loaded with flavor and packed with the crunch from the veggies- this take on vegetable fried rice will make you forget your oily, greasy takeout version. What’s best is the fact that this recipe needs just a few simple ingredients (ideally anything you have in your refrigerator) and takes a little prep time and effort to get ready.
Interested enough to give the recipe a shot? Here’s everything you need to know about it before you do.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just a handful of simple ingredients to put this delicious and flavorful recipe together.
- Rice (boiled): 1 cup
- Oil: 1 tsp
- Carrots (chopped): ¼ cup
- Green Zucchini (chopped): ¼ cup
- Yellow Zucchini (chopped): ¼ cup
- Green capsicum (finely diced): ¼ cup
- Onions (chopped): ⅛ cup
- Cabbage (chopped): ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
How to Make the Vegetable Fried Rice
Making the vegetable fried rice from scratch is super easy. All you need to do is follow these simple steps and you’re all sorted.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
Next, place all the veggies, and cook them at 400°F for 6-8 minutes.
Put the rice next along with all the spices and mix.
Put it back in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
You definitely can. This is actually an excellent recipe that uses up any leftover steamed rice that you might have from another day. Just remember that it is better to use long-grained rice, and to make sure that the rice grains are fluffy and separate instead of sticky and all clumped together.
Apart from all the veggies that have made their way into the ingredients list, there’s a lot more you can add to the mix, and bump up the nutritive value and flavor of the vegetable fried rice. Here are some ideas to get you started.
Apart from these, you can also sneak in a good vegetarian protein source to make the vegetable fried rice healthier. Chop up some tofu or cottage cheese and stir fry them with a bit of oil. Add them into the fried rice towards the end, toss everything well and serve.
You can! You can saute and cook the veggies in advance, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 3 days, and then put them together with the rice when you want to.
If you have any leftovers, you can refrigerate them too! They can stay fresh in there for upto 3 days, and all you need to do is reheat them and serve them!
Tips & Tricks to Make the Vegetable Fried Rice
Ready to replicate the recipe in your kitchen? Wait up. You might want to take note of these additional tips and hacks to make sure you nail the recipe.
- Want to make your vegetable fried rice healthier? Use brown rice or quinoa instead of regular rice.
- Don’t have garam masala powder? You can actually use any other seasoning mix of your choice- peri-peri and cajun spice are two great options.
- If you don’t have any seasoning mix, you can drizzle some sriracha or any hot sauce of your choice and toss everything well.
- To add some extra flavor to your fried rice, add some chopped garlic and ginger along with the veggies.
- If you’re using frozen veggies for this recipe, remember to thaw them before using them.
- Ensure that all the veggies are cut into roughly the same size before you pop them in the air fryer. This will get them cooked all the way through.
- Don’t forget to top the fried rice with a generous sprinkle of chopped spring onion greens right before you serve. They add a nice touch of freshness which elevates the dish.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Complete with veggies and rice, the vegetable fried rice is actually a balanced meal in itself. However, if you really want to go the extra mile, you can pair it with a soup (like this Instant Pot wonton soup) or a side like kung pao chicken or some classic Hakka noodles.
Easiest Vegetable Fried Rice
- 1 cup Rice , (boiled)
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ¼ cup Carrots , (chopped)
- ¼ cup Green Zucchini , (chopped)
- ¼ cup Yellow Zucchini, (chopped)
- ¼ cup Green capsicum , (finely diced)
- ⅛ cup Onions , (chopped)
- ¼ cup Cabbage , (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°Ffor 5 minutes.
- Spray the air fryer basket withoil.
- Next, place all the veggies, andcook them at 400°F for 6-8 minutes.
- Put the rice next along with allthe spices and mix.
- Put it back in the air fryer at 350°F for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot!