Crispy and crunchy filets of chicken, paired with a tangy and savory sauce make for an unbeatable combination. Give this chicken with tangy mango sauce recipe a try when you’re craving a flavor-loaded dinner or lunch that doesn’t take too long to make.
Ready to give this flavorful and wholesome recipe a shot? Scroll down and give it a quick look before you do!
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the chicken with tangy mango sauce.
For the Chicken Breast
- Chicken breast: 2
- Chili powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Garlic powder: 2 tsp
- Onion powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Tandoori Chicken Masala powder: 1 tsp
For the Mango Sauce
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Raw mangoes (chopped): 1 cup
- Onions (sliced): 1 cup
- Garlic (minced): 1 tbsp
- Chilies (chopped): 2-3
- Red chili powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Water: ½ cup
How to Make the Chicken With Tangy Mango Sauce
Once you have everything ready, here’s the step-by-step process you need to follow to make the recipe.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
Take a plate and put the breasts on it. Use tenderized meat for best results. Alternatively, you can use a Ziploc bag to do this step and use a rolling pin or a meat tenderizer to tenderize the meat.
Next, prepare the spice mix by mixing all the spices mentioned above.
Coat the chicken breast with the spice mix. Make sure both sides are coated well.
Next, insert the chicken breasts into the air fryer. Start cooking at 400°F for 4 minutes.
Next, flip the chicken breasts and cook for another 4 minutes or until it's done.
For the Mango sauce, heat oil in a pan.
Add the sliced onions and garlic. Saute.
Next, add the chilies and mangoes. Saute for 1 minute.
Add the spices next and mix well.
Add the water and simmer the mixture until the raw mangoes become soft.
Once it’s done, use a food processor to make it into a paste.
Adjust any seasoning if required as per your taste.
Serve the air-fried chicken breasts hot with a side of this tangy sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you definitely can! Chicken breasts are super versatile, easily available, and inexpensive too, which is why they're a great choice for this recipe. However, you don’t necessarily have to stick to just those- you could use any other cut of chicken you prefer. Just remember to use boneless chicken for best results.
Of course! If you’re not a fan of following the recipe with an entire chicken breast, you can use chicken tenders or cubes, or even just cut the chicken breast into thin strips or bite-sized pieces, and follow the exact same recipe with those.
Remember that if you’re not cooking the entire breast and using smaller pieces, they might take slightly lesser time in the air fryer.
Your tangy mango sauce can be prepped days upto 10 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Being versatile that it is, it can be teamed up with any meat or grilled veggies, and can even be used as a spread for your homemade sandwiches.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Chicken With Tangy Mango Sauce
Think you’re all set and ready to try out the recipe? Here are some additional tips and tricks you might want to keep in mind before you do.
- To help the spices adhere to the surface of the chicken breast, you can first dip the chicken in a mixture of whisked eggs and then cover it with the spices.
- If you’re not too sure about using eggs, you could also use Greek yogurt instead. This will lend a nice creaminess to the chicken as well.
- Don’t have raw mangoes? You can replicate the same recipe with regular mangoes too! Just remember that you might need to add some lemon juice or vinegar to the sauce to compensate for the missing tanginess from the raw mangoes.
- Don’t have the tandoori masala that this recipe calls for? You could use pretty much any other seasoning mix of your choice- peri-peri, allspice, and even just plain paprika all work wonderfully.
- Got some extra chicken and mango sauce left over? You can cut the chicken into strips, drizzle a bit of the sauce on it, give it a quick toss and use it as a filling for your sandwiches.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Ready with your delicious chicken and tangy mango sauce? Serve it right away with a refreshing drink on the side, or enjoy it as is. You can also whip up a quick crunchy salad to serve on the side if you want to make it a healthier meal. Some keto cauliflower tabbouleh or a nice vegan barley salad can do the trick and make it a complete, filling meal.
Chicken with Tangy Mango Sauce
Ingredients for the Chicken Breast
- 2 pcs Chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Tandoori Chicken Masala Powder
Ingredients for the Mango sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Raw mangoes , (chopped)
- 1 cup Onions , (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , (minced)
- 2-3 pcs Chilies , (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Water
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Take a plate and put the breasts on it. Use tenderized meat for best results. Alternatively, you can use a ziploc bag to do this step and use a roling pin or a meat tenderizer to tenderize the meat.
- Next, prepare the spice mix by mixing all the spices mentioned above.
- Coat the chicken breast with the spice mix. Make sure both the sides are coated well.
- Next, insert the chicken breasts into the air fryer. Start cooking at 400°F for 4 minutes.
- Next, flip the chicken breasts and cook for another 4 minutes or until it's done.
- For the Mango sauce, heat oil in a pan.
- Add the sliced onions and garlic. Saute.
- Next add the chilies and mangoes. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the spices next and mix well.
- Add the water and simmer the mixture until the raw mangoes become soft.
- Once it’s done, use a food processor to make it into a paste.
- Adjust any seasoning if required as per your taste.
- Serve the air fried chicken breasts hot with a side of this tangy sauce.