If cashew chicken tops your list on Asian food takeout nights, but you still want to try out a healthier, homemade version of it, here’s just what you need. This recipe is super simple and easy to replicate, and is sure to become one of your favorite home cooked creations.
Here’s everything you need to know about making it the right way.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll require two sets of ingredients to put the cashew chicken together- one for the sauce and one to add flavor to the chicken.
For the sauce
- Water: ¼ cup
- Soy sauce: 2 tbsps
- Cornstarch: 2 tsps
- Hoisin sauce: 4 tbsps
For the chicken
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Garlic (minced): 1 tbsp
- Green chilies (minced): ½ tbsp
- Spring onions (chopped): ½ cup
- Chicken bite-sized pieces (boneless): 1.5 cups
- Salt: ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Prepared Sauce
- Rice vinegar: 2 tbsps
- Cashews (toasted): ¾ cup
How to Make the Cashew Chicken
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s how to put the dish together.
Start by preparing the sauce. Add all the ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk them together. Keep it aside.
Next, heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, green chilies, and spring onions. Saute.
Next, add the chicken pieces into the pan. Season with salt and black pepper powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
Once the chicken is 80-90% done, add the prepared sauce. Mix well.
Top the chicken with toasted cashews and mix well.
Next, add the rice vinegar and mix.
Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hoisin sauce is one of the key elements of this dish, but if you don’t have it at hand, and still want to try this recipe, you can make do with almost any other Asian inspired sauce of your choice. Oyster sauce, teriyaki sauce, black bean paste and barbecue sauce are all great alternatives.
One of the best things about this recipe is the fact that it is incredibly versatile, and gives you the chance to use up any of the veggies that you have lying in your refrigerator. Bell peppers, carrots, baby corn, zucchini, mushrooms, edamame, broccoli and spring onions are all excellent choices.
You can also throw in some greens of your choice- spinach and kale are some classics you can never go wrong with, and their flavors work perfectly with the garlicky, soy-saucy flavors of the dish.
Yes! You definitely can! The sauce can be prepared days in advance and refrigerated until it is ready to be used. You can also make the dish ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 3 days.
Remember that it is always a good idea to put the dish together fresh, so that each of the elements taste their freshest best.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Cashew Chicken
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a shot? Here are a few simple tips and tricks you might want to keep in mind before you get started.
- To get the best, flavorful version of this dish, choose boneless chicken thighs. They have the most tender, juiciest and most flavorful meat.
- Want to lend the dish that restaurant-like flavor and deliciousness? Use sesame oil instead of regular oil to cook your chicken.
- Make sure you use a heavy duty nonstick pan or a cast iron skillet to make this recipe. This will ensure even distribution of heat throughout the pan.
- Want to add an extra bit of heat to the dish? Throw in some chili sauce or chopped green or red chillies.
- Remember to chop your veggies roughly the same size, to ensure that they are all evenly cooked.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This classic flavorful dish can be served on its own, or along a simple noodle or rice dish to make it a complete meal.
Loved how easy it was to replicate this recipe? Looking to try out some more such recipes that pack in Asian flavors? Here are a few good ones you might want to check out.
- Vegan Kung Pao Chicken With Sweet Potato Noodles
- Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
- Chicken with Tangy Mango Sauce
Ingredients for the sauce
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 4 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
Ingredients for the chicken
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , (minced)
- ½ tablespoon Green chilies , (minced)
- ½ cup Spring onions , (chopped)
- 1.5 cup Chicken bite-sized pieces , (boneless)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 bowl Prepared Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Rice vinegar
- ¾ cup Cashews , (toasted)
- Start by preparing the sauce. Add all the ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk them together. Keep it aside.
- Next, heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, green chilies, and spring onions. Saute.
- Next, add the chicken pieces into the pan. Season with salt and black pepper powder. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Once the chicken is 80-90% done, add the prepared sauce. Mix well.
- Next, add the rice vinegar and mix.
- Top the chicken with toasted cashews and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.