Murg Saagwala, which literally translates to chicken curry, is a classic, hearty and comforting Indian curry that’s rich in protein and full of flavor.
The distinct green color you’d find in this creamy and rich curry comes from the spinach and coriander leaves, which add a nice bit of freshness to the dish.
This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes, and you'll need minimal ingredients and prep time to make it.
If you’re a fan of the bold, intense flavors that you’d expect to find in most Indian curries, you have to give this recipe a try.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You will need three sets of ingredients to make this murg saagwala.
For the chicken marination
- Chicken drumstick: 3
- Curd: 1 cup
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves: 3 tbsp
- Chicken masala: 2 tsp
For the green paste
- Spinach: 150 grams or a small bunch
- Coriander leaves: 3-4 stalks
- Green chilies: 2-3
For the chicken curry
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry red chilies: 1
- Bay leaf: 1
- Onions (sliced): 1 cup
- Marinated chicken
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Prepared green paste
- Chicken masala: 2 tbsp
- Salt: 1 tablespoon or as per taste
- Water: 1 cup
How to Make the Murg Saagwala
Once you have all the ingredients ready, here is what you need to do to make the murg saagwala
To marinate the chicken, take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients. Mix well. Let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the green paste. Take a deep bottomed vessel and bring water to a boil. Add the spinach, coriander leaves, and green chilies. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
Then drain the water and let the mixture come to room temperature.
Once the mixture has cooled enough, blend it into a smooth paste.
Now, start the chicken curry by heating oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, dry red chilies, and bay leaf. Saute.
Add the onions next and saute. Cook for 30-40 seconds.
Add the marinated chicken next and mix well.
Cook the chicken for 8-10 minutes or until it’s almost 80-90 percent cooked.
Add ginger garlic paste and mix well.
Next, add the prepared green paste and mix well.
Add the chicken masala and salt next and mix well. Let it cook for a minute.
Add the water next and mix well. You can adjust the water as per your desired consistency.
Serve hot with rice or chapati of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
I kept the curry simple with just the chicken, spinach and the spices, but you can also add in more veggies of your choice.
Potatoes, green beans, bell peppers, carrots and zucchini are all good choices, and adding them to the curry can make it more nutritious and healthy.
If you have any leftovers, you can refrigerate them in a clean glass container and refrigerate them. Theys should stay fresh for 2-3 days.
The curry is best reheated in the microwave or in a pot over the stovetop on low heat. To loosen up the curry, you might want to add some water to it too.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Murg Saagwala
Ready to give this easy recipe a try? Here are some tips and tricks you might want to take note of.
- I’ve used chicken drumsticks for this recipe, but you can also use any other cut of chicken that you prefer.
- To make the chicken more tender and flavorful, you can marinate it overnight in the refrigerator. This will also help it cook faster.
- I used store-bought chicken masala to add some more flavor to the curry, but if you don’t have it, you can use some garam masala powder instead.
- To make the curry more rich and creamy, you can add some heavy cream into it towards the end and let it simmer for a few minutes before serving.
- You can also swap the chicken and opt for a vegetarian protein if you want to. Cottage cheese and tofu are both good choices- just make sure you pan fry them in a separate pan until they’re slightly golden brown, and then add them into the curry towards the end.
- Blanching the spinach is exceptionally important. Doing this helps preserve the bright green color of the gravy even after it is cooked.
- You can also add more volume to the curry by adding some pureed tomatoes into it while the chicken is still cooking.
- To lend the curry a smoky, earthy flavor, you can add some kasoori methi (dried fenugreek) into it towards the end.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
The best way to enjoy this murg saagwala is to pair it with a paratha, roti or a naan to mop up all that delicious gravy.
And of course, if you love rice with your curries, you can try out some flavorful Indian lemon rice to go with it.
Got some more chicken waiting to be put to use? You might want to try out some more of these delicious recipes.
Ingredients For the chicken marination
- 3 Chicken Drumstick
- 1 cup Curd
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- 2 teaspoon Chicken Masala
Ingredients For the green paste
- 150 gms Spinach
- 4 stalks Coriander Leaves
- 3 Green Chilies
Ingredients For the chicken curry
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 cup Onions (sliced)
- 1 bowl Marinated Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 bowl Prepared Green Paste
- 2 tablespoon Chicken Masala
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 cup Water
- To marinate the chicken, take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients. Mix well. Let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the green paste. Take a deep bottomed vessel and bring water to a boil. Add the spinach, coriander leaves, and green chilies. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then drain the water and let the mixture come to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled enough, blend it into a smooth paste.
- Now, start the chicken curry by heating oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, dry red chilies, and bayleaf. Saute.
- Add the onions next and saute. Cook for 30-40 seconds.
- Add the marinated chicken next and mix well.
- Cook the chicken for 8-10 minutes or until it’s almost 80-90 percent cooked.
- Add ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Next, add the prepared green paste and mix well.
- Add the chicken masala and salt next and mix well. Let it cook for a minute.
- Add the water next and mix well. You can adjust the water as per your desired consistency.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati of your choice.