Whether you’re on the hunt for a quick and easy appetizer recipe that you can make and serve at your next party or are craving something spicy and flavorful, but easy to make, these spicy fried chicken drumsticks just fit the bill. They are super crunchy on the outside and soft and juicy on the inside- just the way you would want them to be!
Plus, they’re super easy to make- you’ll need just a few minutes of kitchen time to put them together.
Ready to give the recipe a try? Scroll down and read on to know more about it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make these flavor-loaded chicken drumsticks from scratch.
For the Spice Mix
- Paprika: 2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: 2 tsp
- Sea salt: 2 tsp
- Onion powder: 2 tsp
- Garlic powder: 2 tsp
For the Chicken
- Chicken drumsticks: 4-5
- Prepared spice mix
- Flour: 1 cup
- Eggs: 2
- Hot sauce: 1 tbsp
- Buttermilk: 2 tbsps
- Oil: As required
How to Make the Spicy Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Got all your ingredients ready? Here’s what you need to do next to make these spicy chicken drumsticks.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, add the paprika, black pepper powder, sea salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix well.
Take half the prepared spice mix and coat the chicken drumsticks with it.
Next, take the flour in a bowl and add the remaining half of the spice mix. Mix well.
In another bowl, crack open the 2 eggs. Add hot sauce and buttermilk to it and whisk.
Take one drumstick and put it in the egg mixture. Next, roll it over the flour mixture. Make sure that the drumstick is well coated.
Repeat the same steps for the remaining drumsticks. Set them aside.
Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
Next, place the pieces in the air fryer basket, spray a bit of oil on them, and cook them at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
You can rotate them once in between so that they are cooked well.
Cook again for 2-3 minutes at 400°F for that extra crisp on the top.
Enjoy the chicken drumsticks with the dip of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you totally can! This is in fact, one of the best things about the recipe. You can prepare the spice mix in advance and let the chicken drumsticks marinade in the mixture. This will help the chicken absorb all the flavors, and will make the meat even more tender and soft.
You can prepare the chicken mixture and refrigerate it for upto 2 days, or even freeze it for a week or more.
Got some leftovers? You can actually save them for later. All you need to do is transfer the chicken to an airtight container or a Ziploc bag and then refrigerate it if you plan to consume it within the next 2 days. If you want them to last longer than that, you can freeze them too- just remember to use freezer-safe bags or containers.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Spicy Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Think the recipe is easy enough for you to tackle? That’s great. Keep these extra tips and tricks in mind to make sure you nail the texture and flavor of the chicken.
- Want your fried chicken drumsticks to be extra crunchy? Replace the flour in the recipe with rice flour or cornstarch, or a mixture of both.
- Want an extra thick and flavorful coating on your fried chicken? Dip it in the egg mixture and then cover it with some panko breadcrumbs after the initial flour coating.
- If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also fry these chicken drumsticks in hot oil instead. Just make sure you use any neutral flavored oil that has a high smoking point.
- Whether you’re frying the chicken drumsticks in an air fryer or over the stovetop, remember not to overcrowd the pan and leave a little room for the chicken drumsticks. This will ensure that they are crispy and well-cooked from all sides.
- Avoid opening the air fryer basket again and again– open it just once to flip the chicken and get it crunchy and crispy from both sides.
- Avoid reheating the leftover fried chicken drumsticks in the microwave- they’ll not have that crunchy and crispy covering that you are looking for. Instead, bake them or air fry them once again.
- Remember to pat dry the chicken drumsticks before you start coating them in the mixtures.
- Got some extra egg coating and spice mix left? You can replicate the same process with cauliflower florets as you did with the chicken drumsticks and enjoy yet another simple and effortless side.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Serve your big batch of spicy fried chicken drumsticks with your favorite dips and sauces on the side. If you’re serving them as a side or an appetizer, having a veggie-loaded salad and some pasta or bread along with it can be great. Here are some good options you can consider teaming up with these delicious chicken drumsticks.
Spicy Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Ingredients for the Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
Ingredients for the Chicken
- 5 pcs Chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup Prepared spice mix
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 pcs Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon Buttermilk
- 1 cup Oil
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the paprika ,black pepper powder, sea salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Take half the prepared spice mix and coat the chicken drumsticks with it.
- Next take the flour in a bowl and add the remaining half of the spice mix. Mix well.
- In another bowl, crack open the 2 eggs. Add hot sauce and buttermilk to it and whisk.
- Take one drumstick and put it in the egg mixture. Next roll it over the flour mixture. Make sure that the drumstick is well coated.
- Repeat the same steps for the remaining drumsticks. Set them aside.
- Spray the air fryer basket withoil.
- Next, place the pieces in the airfryer basket, spray a bit of oil on them, and cook them at 350°F for 8-10m inutes.
- You can rotate them once in between so that they are cooked well.
- Cook again for 2-3 minutes at 400°F for that extra crisp on the top.
- Enjoy the chicken drumsticks with the dip of your choice.