The perfect balance of crispiness and tenderness is what you’d find in these zucchini baton fries, and when teamed up with this spicy and creamy chili mayo dip, it is a match made in heaven. If you’ve been a fries lover, you’ve got to give this recipe a shot!
Ready to give this fun take on your regular potato fries a try in your kitchen? Scroll down to discover everything you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the zucchini baton fries and the chili mayo dip.
For the Chips
- Zucchini (cut into batons): 2 whole
- Bread crumbs: 2 cups
- Garlic powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Black pepper powder: 1 tbsp
- Mixed herbs: 1 tbsp
- Parmesan (grated): ½ cup
- Flour: 1 cup
- Eggs (beaten): 3
For the Chili Mayo dip
- Mayonnaise: ½ cup
- Tomato ketchup: 2 tbsp
- Red chilies: 3-4
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Mixed Italian herbs: 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 2 tsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
How to Make the Zucchini Baton Fries with Chili Mayo Dip
Once you have everything ready, here’s what you need to do to make the zucchini baton fries and the chili mayo dip.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
In a bowl, add the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, black pepper powder, mixed herbs, and cheese. Mix them together.
Next, take the zucchini batons and coat them with flour. Dip it into the egg mixture and then roll it over the spiced bread crumb mixture. Make sure the baton is properly coated on all sides.
Repeat the above steps for all the zucchini batons.
Next, place the batons in the air fryer basket and cook them at 400°F for 5-6 minutes.
Keep shaking the fries in between so that they are evenly cooked.
For the Chili Mayo dip, mix all ingredients in a blender and make a smooth paste.
Enjoy the zucchini fries along with the mayo as a fun and healthy evening snack.
Frequently Asked Questions
You sure can! If coating some veggie sticks in a mixture of breadcrumbs, cheese, and Italian seasoning seems interesting, you can really go ahead and experiment to your heart’s content. Try replicating the same recipe with sweet potatoes, carrots, eggplant, parsnips, turnips, butternut squash, plantains, and even green beans.
Eggs can act as the perfect base to get the crumb coating to stick well to your zucchini batons, but if you don’t prefer using them and are looking for an alternative, the best way to do it is to create a simple slurry of flour (preferably rice flour) and water. Dunk your zucchini batons in this mixture and then cover them with the crumb mixture and you’re sorted.
Your zucchini baton fries taste perfect when air-fried- they’ll need minimal oil and will crisp up just as their deep-fried cousins will, if not better. However, if you don’t have an air fryer, you can just go down the old route and deep fry them or bake them- it all depends on what you personally prefer.
Your leftover zucchini fries can be transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated for upto 3 days. The chili mayo dip can last you for more than 10 days when refrigerated in a clean, airtight jar.
Remember that when you’re reheating the zucchini fries, don’t use a microwave, as they’ll make the fries soggy. Put them in a preheated air fryer for a couple of minutes and they’ll come out extra crunchy and perfect.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Zucchini Baton Fries with Chili Mayo Dip
Think you’re ready to give this interesting recipe a shot? Note down these additional tips and hacks to nail it.
- Want an extra bit of crunch and texture to your zucchini baton fries? Use panko crumbs instead of regular crumbs.
- After you have cut the zucchini into batons, remember to pat them dry. Zucchini tends to have a lot of moisture, which needs to be removed before the fries are coated.
- If you have an extra minute, remove the yolk, and use just the whisked egg white to coat the zucchini fries. This will help the fries get a little more crispy.
- Ensure there is enough room for all the fries in the air fryer basket. Avoid overcrowding the basket, and if you can, work in small batches to get the perfect golden brown and crunchy fries.
- You might also want to flip the fries halfway through the air frying process to get them cooked nicely and evenly.
- Trying to turn this into a gluten-free version? Use gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond flour or a mixture of both instead of panko crumbs.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your crispy and crunchy zucchini baton fries taste incredible when paired with the chili mayo dip or literally any other dip or sauce of your choice. You can also prepare a big batch of the fries and drizzle them with some mustard or ranch and serve them on a large plate. Don’t forget to top them with a generous sprinkle of chopped coriander too.
Loved how easy it was to recreate this recipe? On the hunt for some more such fun and interesting snack recipes to try out? You might want to give these a quick look.
Zucchini Baton Fries with Chili Mayo Dip
Ingredients for the Chips
- 2 pcs Zucchini , (cut into batons)
- 2 cups Bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon Mixed herbs
- ½ cup Parmesan , (grated)
- 1 cup Flour
- 3 pcs Eggs , (beaten)
Ingredients for the Chili Mayo dip
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Tomato ketchup
- 4 pcs Red chilies
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Mixed Italian herbs
- 2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the breadcrumbs,garlic powder, salt, black pepper powder, mixed herbs, and cheese. Mix themtogether.
- Next, take the zucchini batons andcoat it with flour. Dip it into the egg mixture and then roll it over thespiced bread crumb mixture. Make sure the baton is properly coated on allsides.
- Repeat the above steps for all thezucchini batons.
- Next, place the batons in the airfryer basket and cook them at 400°F for 5-6 minutes.
- Keep shaking the fries in betweenso that they are evenly cooked.
- For the Chili Mayo dip, mix allingredients in a blender and make a smooth paste.
- Enjoy the zucchini fries alongwith the mayo as a fun and healthy evening snack.