Perfectly seasoned and crunchy on the outside, while still being soft and juicy on the inside- this air fried crispy chicken drumstick recipe is perfect.
With a super savory seasoning mix and an incredibly easy cooking technique, this is one side dish recipe that you’ll love, and everyone in your family will too.
What’s best is the fact that these crispy chicken drumsticks are super versatile- you can team them up with pretty much any of your favorite recipes, and they’ll work just fine.
Ready to give this recipe a try? Here’s all you need to know about it before you do.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the air fried crispy chicken drumsticks, here is what you will need.
- All purpose flour: ½ cup
- Paprika powder: 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Mixed herbs: 1 tbsp
- Onion powder: 2 tsp
- Garlic powder: 2 tsp
- Chicken drumstick: 3
- Oil: For brushing
How to Make the Air Fried Crispy Chicken Drumstick
Once you have all the ingredients ready, here is what you will need to do to make the air fried crispy chicken drumsticks.
In a mixing bowl, add the all purpose flour, paprika powder, black pepper powder, mixed herbs, onion powder, and garlic powder. Give it a good mix.
Next, add the chicken leg pieces to the mixture and coat them well.
Pre-heat the air fryer at 200℃ for 5 minutes.
Transfer the coated chicken leg pieces into the air fryer. Brush them with oil.
Cook them at 180℃ for 20-25 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
While air frying is a process that is better than most other methods of cooking chicken, specifically when it comes to getting the chicken crispy on the outside, you can add ½ a teaspoon of baking soda to the seasoning mix to get that perfect crunch factor on the outside.
If you have any leftover air fried crispy chicken drumstick, you can store it in an airtight container for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
While this crispy chicken can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven, I would recommend air frying it again to get it nice and crispy.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fried Crispy Chicken Drumstick
While making these air fried crispy chicken drumsticks is super easy, keeping these little tips and tricks handy can help.
- I used all purpose flour as the coating for the chicken, if you want to get a chicken extra crispy and crunchy, you can use rice flour for the coating.
- Another great idea is to prepare a slurry using all the ingredients for the coating with a bit of water, coat the chicken in it and then cover the chicken in breadcrumbs before adding it to the Air Fryer basket.
- Remember not to overcrowd the Air Fryer basket with too many chicken pieces and leave a little breathing room for all the chicken drumsticks.
- Also remember to flip the chicken drumsticks midway through the cooking process so that they are nice and golden brown on all the sides.
- You can also use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken drumsticks in case you are not too sure if the chicken is properly cooked or not.
- I used a very simple mix of herbs and spices to season the air fried crispy chicken. You can use any seasonings of your choice.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These crispy air fried chicken drumsticks are the perfect snack or appetizer to team up with any of your main dishes.
You can serve them with some ranch, mustard or ketchup, or practically any other dipping sauce of your choice. They also taste great when served with some chutney.
And of course, don’t forget some French fries to go along with them too.
If you loved how this easy Air Fryer chicken recipe turned out, and are inspired to try some more Air Fryer recipes, here are a few good ones you might want to check out.
- Air Fried Chapli Kebab with Green Chutney and Salad
- Air Fried Tandoori Mushrooms with Green Chutney
- Air Fried Amritsari Fish with Onion Salad and Green Chutney
Air Fried Crispy Chicken Drumstick
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Paprika Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tablespoon Mixed Herbs
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 Chicken Drumstick
- 1 teaspoon Oil, For brushing
- In a mixing bowl, add the all purpose flour, paprika powder, black pepper powder, mixed herbs, onion powder, and garlic powder. Give it a good mix.
- Next, add the chicken leg pieces to the mixture and coat them well.
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 200℃ for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the coated chicken leg pieces into the air fryer. Brush them with oil.
- Cook them at 180℃ for 20-25 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Serve hot.