Tender and juicy chicken mince is mixed together with a slew of different seasonings and spices to craft this air fried Chapli kebabs. When served with some green chutney and a little onion salad on the side, it can easily become a great appetizer that you can also make in advance.
Ready to give the recipe a shot? Here’s all that you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
Don’t be overwhelmed by the number of ingredients you’ll find on this list- you probably already have most of them in your pantry.
- Chicken (minced): 2 cups
- Ginger garlic paste: 2 tbsps
- Onions (finely chopped): ½ cup
- Tomatoes (finely chopped): ½ cup
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped): ½ cup
- Green chilies (minced): 2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds (roasted and crushed): 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds (roasted and crushed): 1.5 tbsp
- Anardana powder: ½ tbps
- Salt: 1 tablespoon or as per taste
- Garam masala powder: ½ tbsp
- Besan (dry roasted): ½ cup
For the Green chutney
- Coriander leaves: A bunch
- Mint leaves: ½ cup
- Garlic cloves: 8-10
- Green chilies: 3-5
- Salt: 2 tsps or as per taste
- Lemon juice: Half a lemon
For Onion Salad
- Onion rings: 1 large onion
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: ½ tsp
- Chaat masala: 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: ½ tsp
- Lemon juice: Half a lemon
- Green chili (finely chopped): 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped): 1 tbsp
How to Make the Air Fried Chapli Kebab and the Green Chutney and Salad
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make them.
Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the kebabs and mix well.
Make round flat disc shaped kebabs by taking small portions of the mixture. Make as many as you can as per your desired size. Do not make them too big or else it won’t cook properly.
Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
Transfer the kebabs to the air fryer basket and spray a bit of oil on them, and cook them at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.
You can flip them once in between and brush some oil so that they are cooked well.
Then cook them again at 400°F for 2 minutes. This is to make the top layer crisp.
For the green chutney, blend everything together in a blender. Adjust salt and lemon juice if required.
For the onion salad, mix everything together.
Serve chapli kebabs hot with green chutney and onion salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
While making the air fried Chapli kebabs is super simple and straightforward, you can also give it a few tweaks in terms of what you’re adding in, and the seasonings, to make it more suited to your taste buds.
Want a super soft and tender inside? Add an egg into the kebab mixture.
Want your kebabs to be more nutritious and healthy? Throw in some grated veggies of your choice- carrots, zucchini and bell peppers work great.
The process of air frying does help make the kebabs crispy, but if you want that extra crunch factor, you can also add a teaspoon of rice flour into the mix, or replace the besan (chickpea flour) in the recipe for rice flour.
You definitely can! The green chutney can be batch made and refrigerated for upto a week, which is great, since it is a versatile chutney that can be paired with so many other appetizers.
You can also make a big batch of kebabs on a weekend, let them freeze until they are solid, and then transfer them to a freezer safe container and freeze them again. They can last for months there, and when you want to enjoy them, all you need to do is thaw and air fry them.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fried Chapli Kebab
Making the Chapli kebabs might be easy, but keeping these tips and hacks in mind will really help you nail the flavors and textures.
- Remember to drain off all the excess liquid from the chicken mince, and then use it for the recipe. This will help your kebabs hold their shape better.
- If your kebab mixture has turned too soft to be shaped by your hands, you can roughly tear a slice of bread and add it into the mixture, or just throw in some breadcrumbs. Both of these can help soak all the excess liquid and help the kebab mixture get that stiffness.
- Remember to keep a little space between each of the kebabs when you’re air frying them. This will help them cook well from all the sides and also get that crispiness on the exterior.
- Traditionally, Chapli kebabs are made by pressing a tomato slice into the kebab mixture, and then frying, grilling or air frying it. You can skip adding the chopped tomatoes and try making the kebabs using this method too.
- If you are using chopped tomatoes, remember to remove the core- this will keep the extra moisture at bay.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your batch of air fried Chapli kebabs taste great when served with the green chutney, a crunchy salad and some naan on the side. This can also be a complete meal in itself. If you don’t have green chutney, you can pair it with any other dip, sauce or chutney of your choice.
Enjoyed making these kebabs? Looking for some more such delicious recipes to try your hands at? Here are a few good ones you might want to check out.
Air Fried Chapli Kebab with Green Chutney and Salad
Ingredients for the Chapli Kebab
- 2 cups Chicken , (minced)
- 2 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup Onions , (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Tomatoes , (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Coriander leaves , (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Green chilies , (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds , (roasted and crushed)
- 1.5 tablespoon Coriander seeds , (roasted and crushed)
- ½ tablespoon Anardana powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ tablespoon Garam masala powder
- ½ cup Besan , (dry roasted)
Ingredients for the Green Chutney
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves
- ½ cup Mint leaves
- 8-10 pcs Garlic cloves
- 3-5 pcs Green chilies
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- ½ pcs Lemon juice
Ingredients for Onion Salad
- 1 pc Onion rings, (Large Onion)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ½ pcs Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Green chili , (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves , (finely chopped)
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the kebabs and mix well.
- Make round flat disc shaped kebabs by taking small portions of the mixture. Make as many as you can as per your desired size. Do not make them too big or else it won’t cook properly.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
- Transfer the kebabs to the air fryer basket and spray a bit of oil on them, and cook them at 350°F for 10-12minutes.
- You can flip them once in between and brush some oil so that they are cooked well.
- Then cook them again at 400°F for 2 minutes. This is to make the top layer crisp.
- For the green chutney, blend everything together in a blender. Adjust salt and lemon juice if required.
- For the onion salad, mix everything together.
- Serve chapli kebabs hot with green chutney and onion salad.