A bowl of brown rice loaded with crunchy veggies tossed in soy sauce and topped with some crunchy fried egg- this Asian style stir fry brown rice bowl can be the perfect no-fail healthy meal recipe to whip up when you’re really confused about what to make.
But before you give it a shot, here’s a quick rundown of everything you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To put this stir fry brown rice bowl together, you’ll need three sets of ingredients.
For the rice
- Brown rice: ¾ cup
- Water: 2 cups
- Salt: A pinch
For the stir fried veggies
- Sesame oil: 1 tbsp
- Garlic (minced): 2 tbsps
- Red chili (sliced): 2-3
- Broccoli (florets): ½ cup
- Haricot Beans (1-inch cut): ½ cup
- Carrots (julienne): ½ cup
- Mushrooms (halved): ½ cup
- Red and yellow bell peppers (julienne): ½ cup
- Onions (sliced): ½ cup
- Spinach (chopped): 1.5 cups
- Black pepper: 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce: 2 tbsps
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Spring onions (chopped): For garnish
For the fried egg
- Eggs: 3
- Salt: A pinch
- Paprika powder: A pinch
How to Make the Stir Fry Brown Rice Bowl
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s the step by step process you’ll need to follow to make the rice bowl.
Start by preparing the rice. Transfer the brown rice, water, and salt to a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 7 whistles or until done. Keep it aside once it’s done.
Next, heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and the red chili. Saute.
Next add in all the vegetables one by one. Saute them for 2-3 minutes.
Add the black pepper powder and saute.
Next, add in the soy sauce, vinegar, and salt. Mix well.
Cook the veggies to be crunchy. Do not overcook them or else they will lose the crunch.
Once the veggies are done, keep them aside.
For the fried egg, take a non-stick pan. Crack open an egg. Sprinkle salt and paprika powder.
To serve the rice, take a bowl. Layer it with rice. Next top it with the stir fried veggies. Finally put the fried egg on top.
Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Brown rice is an excellent choice especially if you’re trying to implement healthy eating. However, if you don’t have brown rice, you can make do with regular white rice, millet, barley, cauliflower rice or even quinoa.
Remember to season the grain you’re using, and follow the rest of the recipe as is.
Most Asian style rice bowls take pride in the amount of veggies and healthy ingredients that they are able to incorporate, and that’s exactly what this version of the stir fry brown rice bowl does.
Apart from the veggies mentioned in the ingredients list, you can also add zucchini, green peas, shredded cabbage, baby corn, stir fried tofu or cottage cheese or even some chicken!
Remember that if you’re adding some more veggies and other ingredients, you'll need to adjust the spices and seasonings accordingly.
Any leftovers can be refrigerated for up to days. Remember that it is best to store the veggies and the rice separately in individual airtight containers.
To reheat, you can simply microwave the bowl or dump everything into a pan and reheat on low-medium heat.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Stir Fry Brown Rice Bowl
The recipe might be straightforward, but you’ve got to keep these little tips and hacks in mind to make sure you nail the recipe.
- Want to try out this recipe with a little variation? Swap the rice with soba noodles or egg noodles and you’ve got yourself a healthy noodle bowl ready!
- Want to enjoy this stir fry bowl with some extra flavor and deliciousness? Add some teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce, hoisin sauce, or any other Asian sauce of your choice.
- One of the best things about this rice bowl recipe is the fact that you can go crazy with your choice of toppings- everything from sliced avocados and leftover rotisserie chicken to kimchi and pickled jalapenos can work wonderfully!
- Bold flavors are the key to making this recipe a success, so don’t shy away from drizzling a little extra of your favorite sauces into the bowl before you dig into it.
- You don’t necessarily need to use fresh veggies to put this rice bowl together- frozen veggies work just as well- just make sure they are all well cooked and you’re good to go.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your stir fry brown rice bowl packs in all food groups, which means you don’t need any extra accompaniment or side to go with it. Enjoy it as a flavorful complete meal, and if you really want to go the extra mile, pair it with some dumplings of your choice or a bowl of soup.
Find yourself craving Asian foods? You’ve got to take note of these easy Asian inspired recipes that you can replicate in your kitchen in minutes.
- Vegan Kung Pao Chicken with Sweet Potato Noodles
- Instant Pot Hakka Noodles
- Easiest Vegetable Fried Rice
Stir Fry Brown Rice Bowl
Ingredients for the rice
- ¾ cup Brown rice
- 2 cup Water
- 1 pinch Salt
Ingredients for the stir fried veggies
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon Garlic , (minced)
- 3 pcs Red chili , (sliced)
- ½ cup Brocolli , (florets)
- ½ cup Haricot Beans , (1-inchcut)
- ½ cup Carrots , (julienne)
- ½ cup Mushrooms , (halved)
- ½ cup Red and yellow bellpeppers , (julienne)
- ½ cup Onions , (sliced)
- 1.5 cup Spinach , (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 bowl Spring onions , (chopped for garnish)
Ingredients for the fried egg
- 3 pcs Eggs
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Paprika powder
- Start by preparing the rice. Transfer the brown rice, water, and salt to a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 7 whistles or until done. Keep it aside once it’s done.
- Next, heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and the red chili. Saute.
- Next add in all the vegetables one by one. Saute them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the black pepper powder and saute.
- Next, add in the soy sauce, vinegar, and salt. Mix well.
- Cook the veggies to be crunchy. Do not overcook them or else they will lose the crunch.
- Once the veggies are done, keep them aside.
- For the fried egg, take a non-stick pan. Crack open an egg. Sprinkle salt and paprika powder.
- To serve the rice, take a bowl. Layer it with rice. Next top it with the stir fried veggies. Finally put the fried egg on top.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.