This steamed spicy potato stuffed semolina cakes are the perfect accompaniment for your evening tea, or as a light and healthy breakfast when you’re really looking to make something special. The ingredients are super simple, and while the process might seem complicated, it really isn’t.
Here’s all you need to know about making them the right way.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make these potato stuffed semolina cakes.
For the Potato mixture
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Potatoes (boiled and mashed): 1 cup
- Onions (finely minced): ¼ cups
- Coriander seeds (crushed): 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (crushed): 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 2 tsps
- Coriander leaves (chopped): 1 tbsp
- Green chilies (chopped): 1 tbsp
For the Semolina cakes
- Semolina: 1 cup
- Curd: ¼ cup
- Salt: ½ tsp
- Green chili coriander paste: 1 tbsp
- Prepared potato mixture
How to Make the Spicy Potato Stuffed Semolina Cakes
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the semolina cakes.
In a mixing bowl, add the semolina, green chili coriander paste, and curd and mix. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the crushed coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
Next, add the onions and saute. Cook until they turn translucent.
Add the green chiles and saute.
Next, add the powdered spices and mix.
Add the potato next and mix well.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and mix.
Once done, keep it aside to cool down to room temperature.
Next, take a stainless steel container and pour ¾th of the semolian mixture.
Once the potato mixture has cooled down, make a cylindrical shape out of it.
Put the shape in the middle of the semolina mixture.
Cover it with the remaining semolina mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions
You sure can! If you’re looking to try and experiment with a different form factor for these cakes, you could totally do that too. You could make potato stuffed Idlis if you have an Idli stand that you can use, or just use a flat container to make semolina sandwich dhoklas.
Another great idea is to assemble the cakes in a loaf pan, and then cut it out as you would the slices of bread.
The mixture for these potato stuffed semolina cakes is super simple and straightforward- boiled potatoes, onions and a handful of spices. You can, however, take things up a notch by adding in other ingredients and veggies of your choice.
Chopped carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, green beans, peas, corn, chopped spinach and even broccoli are some good options to add into the mixture.
Your leftover potato stuffed semolina cakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should stay fresh there for upto 3 days. To reheat, all you need to do is microwave them on high, preferably after sprinkling a little water on them.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Steamed Spicy Potato Stuffed Semolina Cakes
Think you’re ready to give this recipe a shot? Wait up! You might want to have these few tips and tricks handy.
- Want your semolina portion to be more fluffy and airy? Add in some baking soda or instant fruit salt, give it a good mix, and then immediately assemble the cake.
- To lend the cake an extra fun element and to make it more healthy and nutritious, you can sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on the top.
- To bring in a little variation, you can try out different stuffings apart from the potato mixture. Remember that regardless of the stuffing you’re making, use potato as the base ingredient, and make sure the stuffing isn’t too runny in consistency.
- If your semolina mixture seems too runny, fix it by adding in some more semolina. If it seems too thick, add in some more yogurt to loosen it up.
- Got some chaat masala? Add a pinch or two into the potato mixture to elevate its flavors.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These delicious steamed spicy potato stuffed semolina cakes taste incredible when served hot and fresh, right as they are made. You can team them up with some tomato ketchup, green chutney or any other dip of your choice.
If you’re making these as a breakfast item or as an evening snack, they can pair well with a cup of Indian masala tea on the side.
Enjoyed recreating this easy Indian breakfast recipe? Looking for some more fun and simple recipes to try your hands at? Here are a few handpicked ones.
Steamed Spicy Potato Stuffed Semolina Cakes
Ingredients For the Potato mixture
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Potatoes , (boiled and mashed)
- ¼ cup Onions , (finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds, (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds , (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves, (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Green chilies , (chopped)
Ingredinets For the Semolina cakes
- 1 cup Semolina
- ¼ cup Curd
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Green chili coriander paste
- 1 bowl Prepared potato mixture
- In a mixing bowl, add the semolina, green chili coriander paste, and curd and mix. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the crushed coriander seeds and cumin seeds.
- Next, add the onions and saute. Cook until they turn translucent.
- Add the green chiles and saute.
- Next, add the powdered spices and mix.
- Add the potato next and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and mix.
- Once done, keep it aside to cool down to room temperature.
- Next, take a stainless steel container and pour ¾th of the semolian mixture.
- Once the potato mixture has cooled down, make a cylindrical shape out of it.
- Put the shape in the middle of the semolina mixture.
- Cover it with the remaining semolina mixture.
- Heat up a steamer and transfer the vessel to the steamer.
- Let the mxitrue steam for 20-25 minutes or until the semolina mixture binds together and holds shape.
- Serve hot as breakfast!
Leave a Reply