Perfectly crispy and crunchy, and with a nice hint of spice balanced by the sweetness, these spicy sweet potato chips, served with a chili mayo dip, might find their way into your heart and may just become your next favorite healthy snack.
And guess what- it might not seem like it, but this low-effort snack takes just minutes to put together- you’ve got to give it a try!
But before you go ahead and do just that, scroll down and read on to get a quick glimpse into everything you need to know about the recipe.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the spicy sweet potato chips with chili mayo dip.
For the Chips
- Sweet Potato (thinly sliced): 1 whole
- Water: For soaking
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Garlic powder: 1 tbsp
- Onion powder: 2 tsp
- Paprika: 1 tbsp
- Oil: 1 tsp
For the Chili Mayo dip
- Mayonnaise: ½ cup
- Tomato ketchup: 2 tbsp
- Red chili flakes: 3-4
- Vinegar: 1 tbsp
- Mixed Italian herbs: 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 2 tsp
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
How to Make the Spicy Sweet Potato Chips With Chili Mayo Dip
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s the process that you need to follow to put everything together.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
Take a bowl of water and soak the sliced sweet potato pieces for 30 minutes. Take them out and completely dry them before proceeding to the next step.
Once the slices are dry, add the mentioned spices and oil and give a good mix.
Next, place the slices in the air fryer basket and cook them at 400°F for 7-8 minutes.
Keep shaking the fries in between so that they are evenly cooked.
Once you notice the slices hardening at the edges, you can remove them from the air fryer. They will harden further during the cooling process and become crisp.
For the Chili Mayo dip, mix all ingredients in a blender and make a smooth paste.
Enjoy the chips along with the mayo as a fun and healthy evening snack.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re making homemade fries- regardless of whether you’re using regular potatoes or sweet potatoes, it is a good idea to soak them for a while before you cook them. This teeny extra step helps rinse off all the excess starch, which in turn, gets you the batch of perfect, crispy fries that you’re looking for.
If you can soak them in cold water, even better.
Who isn’t a big fan of that extra crispy and crunchy fries? If you are, here’s an additional tip to help you make that happen better. Consider coating the sweet potato chips in some corn flour along with all the other spices. If you don’t have corn flour, you could use rice flour too- they are both equally potent in helping crisp up the potato chips.
There are a lot of flavor variations you can try out when it comes to making these spicy sweet potato fries. You can play around with the seasonings, herbs, and spices based on your personal taste preference, and even pile up a huge batch of the fries on a plate, and top it with your favorite toppings like mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, parmesan cheese, olives, jalapenos, chopped onions, and chopped cilantro to turn it into a loaded fries dish.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Spicy Sweet Potato Chips With Chili Mayo Dip
Ready to give this easy recipe a try? Keeping these additional tips and tricks in mind can help.
- After you get the potato fries out from the water bath, remember to pat them dry before you coat them in the spices. Dabbing off all the excess moisture will help the fries get all nice and crispy, and will also help the spices cling to the surface well.
- Remember to cut your sweet potato chips evenly- ensuring that they are all nearly the same size and thickness.
- After you get them out of the air fryer, allow them to rest for a couple of minutes, and then serve. This will help them crisp up even further.
- If you’re using the air fryer to cook the fries, make sure you grease the basket well to keep the fries from sticking to the surface of the basket.
- Remember not to overcrowd the air fryer basket while cooking the potato chips- space out the chips so that they all get exposed to the hot air, and get crispy and brown from all the sides.
- You might also want to give the air fryer basket a quick shake to move the fries around midway through the cooking time.
- If you don’t have an air fryer, you can replicate the same process and just bake your fries instead too- they’ll turn out just as great. Just remember to line the baking tray with a sheet of parchment paper to keep the fries from sticking to the tray.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your spicy sweet potato chips taste mind-blowing and delicious when paired with the chili mayo dip, or practically any other dip or chutney of your choice. These healthy fries can be served with any other air fryer snacks, and are sure to be a total hit with everyone!
Looking for some more air fryer snack ideas to try out? Here are a few good handpicked ones.
- Nipattu: Air Fryer Rice Flour Crackers
- Air Fryer Crunchy Spicy Chickpeas
- Zucchini Baton Fries with Chili Mayo Dip
Spicy Sweet Potato Chips With Chili Mayo Dip
Ingredients for the Chips
- 1 whole Sweet Potato , (thinly sliced)
- 1 mug Water, (For Soaking)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Oil
Ingredients for the Chili Mayo dip
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Tomato ketchup
- 3-4 pcs Red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Mixed Italian herbs
- 2` teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Take a bowl of water and soak the sliced sweet potato pieces for 30 minutes. Take them out and completely dry them before proceeding to the next step.
- Once the slices are dry, add the mentioned spices and oil and give a good mix.
- Next, place the slices in the air fryer basket and cook them at 400°F for 7-8 minutes.
- Keep shaking the fries in between so that they are evenly cooked.
- Once you notice the slices hardening at the edges, you can remove them from the air fryer. They will harden further during the cooling process and become crisp.
- For the Chili Mayo dip, mix all ingredients in a blender and make a smooth paste.
- Enjoy the chips along with the mayo as a fun and healthy evening snack.