Great as a healthy salad filler or as an evening snack, these crunchy spicy chickpeas are full of protein, fiber, and all the good stuff. With a crispy and crunchy outer and the perfect balance of spices, this is one recipe you definitely need to try out.
Plus, it is super easy to make- you need just a few minutes of kitchen time to whip it up. Ready to give it a shot? Scroll down and read on before you do!
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need a very simple, basic list of ingredients to make these crunchy spicy chickpeas.
- Chickpeas: 1 cup
- Water: As required
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Black Salt: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tbsp
- Onion powder: ½ tsp
- Garlic powder: ½ tsp
- Dry mango powder: 1 tsp
- Chaat masala: 1 tsp
How to Make the Crunchy Spicy Chickpeas
Once you have everything ready, here’s the step-by-step process you need to follow to make these spicy chickpeas.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
Take a bowl of water and add the chickpeas. Soak for 5-6 hours or overnight.
Next, boil the chickpeas in a pressure cooker. Once boiled, drain the water and keep them aside to dry. You can lay them flat on a kitchen towel or tissue paper.
Once the chickpeas are completely dry, transfer them to a bowl.
Add the oil and the spices and give it a good mix.
Spray the air fryer basket with oil and pour the chickpeas into it.
Air fry the chickpeas at 400°F for 10-12 minutes.
Keep shaking the fryer basket every 5 minutes to ensure that the chickpeas are evenly cooked.
Once cooked, take them out and let them cool. The chickpeas will turn completely crisp.
Enjoy this delicious healthy spicy snack with a cup of tea.
Frequently Asked Questions
You sure can! This recipe works wonderfully when you try it with black-eyed peas, kidney beans, and white beans. In fact, you can also go beyond using beans and try the same recipe with any nuts of your choice.
You sure can! In fact, it is one of the easiest ways to make this recipe- that way, you’ll be able to skip the soaking and pressure cooking step. Just remember to drain all the excess liquid and pat dry the canned chickpeas before you start using them for the recipe.
Your crunchy spicy chickpeas can be stored for upto 3 days in an airtight container. If you find that the chickpeas have lost their crispness, you can air fry them once again for a couple of minutes.
This recipe calls for the spiced chickpeas to be air fried, but that’s not necessarily what you need to follow. You can also bake the chickpeas instead, and still get that crunch factor you’re looking for.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Crunchy Spicy Chickpeas
Ready to give this surprisingly easy recipe a try? Here are some additional tips and hacks you might want to take note of.
- Just like with most other air fryer recipes, you need to be careful not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. Arrange the chickpeas in a single layer and let them cook, get them out, and then work with another batch if you have a lot to work with.
- To get your chickpeas to be ultra-crispy, let them air fry for just a few extra minutes.
- Remember that oil and seasonings adhere better to chickpeas that are perfectly dry. Make sure all the excess moisture is wiped away, and if you can, let the chickpeas air dry for a few minutes before coating them in the spices and oil.
- You can go ahead and experiment to your heart’s content with the spices and seasonings for your crunchy spicy chickpeas. Just avoid using sugar, as it can easily burn up in the air fryer.
- If you want to balance out the spicy flavor of the chickpeas with some sweetness, you can use a dash of maple syrup.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These super crispy and savory chickpeas need no extra effort when it comes to serving- just transfer them to a bowl and enjoy. If you really want to go the extra mile, you can squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the top and sprinkle some chopped coriander or any fresh herb of your choice right before you serve.
Loved how easy it was to make these crispy and crunchy spicy chickpeas? Looking for some more similar snack recipes that you can recreate? Here are a few you might want to check out.
Air Fryer Crunchy Spicy Chickpeas
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Take a bowl of water and add the chickpeas. Soak for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Next, boil the chickpeas in a pressure cooker. Once boiled, drain the water and keep them aside to dry. You can lay them flat on a kitchen towel or tissue paper.
- Once the chickpeas are completely dry, transfer them to a bowl.
- Add the oil and the spices and give it a good mix.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and pour the chickpeas into it.
- Air fry the chickpeas at 400°F for10-12 minutes.
- Keep shaking the fryer basket every 5 minutes to ensure that the chickpeas are evenly cooked.
- Once cooked, take them out and let them cool. The chickpeas will turn completely crisp.
- Enjoy this delicious healthy spicy snack with a cup of tea.