Finding a healthy and delicious snack that doesn’t take a lot of kitchen time and is still super filling can be tricky, but this soya chunks pepper fry recipe ticks all the boxes and then some more!
If you haven’t experimented with using soya chunks as a vegetarian protein yet, you must give it a shot with this easy recipe. Its texture is very similar to meat, and it has a subtle flavor that works perfectly with almost any other flavor base you’re trying to team it with.
Sounds tempting? Scroll down to get a closer look at everything you need to know about this recipe.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the soya chunks pepper fry, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients
- Soya chunks: ½ cup
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Garlic (finely chopped): 2 tbsp
- Green capsicum (diced): ½ cup
- Onions (sliced): ½ cup
- Black pepper powder: 2 tbsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Dark Soya sauce: 1 tbsp
- Cornflour: 1.5 tbsp
- Water: ¼ cup
How to Make the Soya Chunks Pepper Fry
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to put the dish together.
Heat water in a pan. Add the soya chunks.
Once the soya chunks turn twice the size by absorbing water, remove them from the pan. Once they return to room temperature, squeeze out the water and keep them aside.
Next, heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, green capsicum, and sliced onions. Saute and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the water squeezed soya chunks and mix well. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until you notice the soya chunks turning dark in color.
Add the soya sauce, black pepper powder, and salt. Saute and mix well.
Add water and bring it to a boil.
Add the cornflour next and mix. You should achieve a thick consistency.
Serve hot as a side with your meals or enjoy as a high-protein snack.
Frequently Asked Questions
This dish is super versatile, which gives you the flexibility of experimenting with the ingredients to your liking.
You can add red and yellow bell peppers too, and not just stick to green peppers.
Chopped baby corn or boiled corn kernels can also be excellent additions to this dish.
You can also add other veggies of your choice into this flavourful dish to make it more healthy- broccoli, green beans, mushrooms and carrots are all great choices.
If you have any leftovers, you can transfer them to a food safe container with a lid. This can then be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
The soya chunks dish ideally needs to be reheated in the microwave, but if you really want to use a pan, just make sure you sprinkle a bit of water on it and reheat it on low heat.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Soya Chunks Pepper Fry
If you’re ready to give this recipe a try, here are some more tips and tricks you might want to take note of.
- For this recipe, we’ve boiled the soya chunks until they soak up all the liquid. If you don’t want to do that, you can just soak the chunks in warm water for an hour or two.
- To lend some extra flavor to the dish, you can add a splash of teriyaki sauce or all purpose Asian sauce of your choice.
- To bring some heat into this dish, you can sprinkle some red chili flakes or add chopped green chillies into the dish. If you don’t have either of these, you can just add a bit of your favorite hot sauce into it.
- You can also transform this dish into a curry by adding some tomato paste and vegetable stock or some tomato purée into it and letting it simmer for a few minutes.
- If you can, use sesame oil instead of your regular cooking oil. This will lend the dish more authentic Asian flavors.
- Don’t forget to top the dish with a generous sprinkle of chopped herbs of your choice before you serve it. You can use cilantro or green onions or almost any other fresh herbs.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This soya chunks pepper fry can be an amazing side dish to any of your favorite Asian main dishes. You can team it up with some fried rice or a noodle bowl and you’ll have a complete meal ready.
Another great idea is to enjoy it as a healthy and protein rich snack.
If you enjoyed making and relishing this delicious snack and are looking to try some more such snacks and side recipes, here are a few good ones you can check out.
Soya Chunks Pepper Fry
- ½ cup Soya Chunks
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon Garlic , (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Green Capsicum , (diced)
- ½ cup Onions , (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dark Soya Sauce
- 1.5 tablespoon Cornflour
- ¼ cup Water
- Heat water in a pan. Add the soya chunks.
- Once the soya chunks turn twice the size by absorbing water, remove them from the pan. Once they return to room temperature, squeeze out the water and keep them aside.
- Next, heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, green capsicum, and sliced onions. Saute and cook for 2-3minutes.
- Add the water squeezed soya chunks and mix well. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until you notice the soya chunks turning dark in color.
- Add the soya sauce, black pepper powder, and salt. Saute and mix well.
- Add water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cornflour next and mix. You should achieve a thick consistency.
- Serve hot as a side with your meals or enjoy as a high-protein snack.
Leave a Reply