These Air fried sweet corn vadas are the perfect healthy snack to put together when you’re hit by a craving or have some unexpected guests come up.
The struggle to find a snack that’s healthy, delicious and easy to put together is real, and if you can relate, here’s a recipe you absolutely need to try out. These sweet corn vadas are air fried and crisped up to perfection, and are super versatile, which means they’re sure to be a total hit with everyone!
Plus, you need very little effort to put it together. Scroll down and take a good look at everything you need to do.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to make the sweet corn vadas from scratch.
- Sweet corn kernels (boiled): 1 cup
- Onions (finely chopped): ¼ cup
- Carrots (grated): ¼ cup
- Green chilies (finely chopped): 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped): 2 tbsp
- Besan (chickpea flour): ¼ cup
- Semolina: ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
How to Make the Air Fried Sweet Corn Vadas
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the vadas.
Preheat the air fryer to 180℃.
Transfer the boiled sweet corn kernels to a blender and blend it into a smooth paste. Do not add water if not required.
Next, transfer the blended sweet corn into a mixing bowl.
Add all the ingredients and mix well.
Squeeze and mix the ingredients and make a smooth dough.
Take a small portion from the dough and shape into a circular disc.
Make as many balls as you can.
Coat the ball with semolina.
Transfer the balls into the air fryer and air fry them at 180℃ for 15-20 minutes or until they turn golden brown. You can flip them once in between and brush some oil so that they are cooked well.
Serve hot sweet corn vadas with green chutney and onion salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
This classic sweet corn vada calls for the addition of onions and carrots apart from the sweet corn, which is the hero ingredient. If you want to go the extra mile, you can also add some chopped bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli and some more other veggies into the mix.
You sure can! If you don’t have an air fryer or are just looking for an alternative way to cook the vadas, deep frying them is your next best option. Just like air frying does, deep frying will get your vadas nice and crispy, with the golden outer coating that you’re looking for.
While these air fried sweet corn vadas will, by default, come out crispy, you can add a bit of rice flour into the mixture if you want that little extra crunch factor. Remember to cut down on the amount of chickpea flour at the same time.
While you can prep the mixture for the vadas in advance, it is not recommended. The mixture has carrots and onions, both of which tend to release water when allowed to sit for a while, which will end up making your mixture runny.
Any leftover vadas can be transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days. To reheat them, you’ll just need to air fry them for a couple of minutes to crisp them up again.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fried Sweet Corn Vada
While putting these sweet corn vadas may be super easy, having these additional tips and tricks up your sleeve can make all the difference.
- If you prefer a bit of texture to your vadas, you can also choose to grind them coarsely in the food processor, as opposed to getting a smooth paste.
- Remember that the consistency of the mixture is super important. If the mixture is loose and runny, and you aren’t able to shape it, chances are, it won’t do so well in the air fryer basket.
- If you ended up making the mixture runny, you can fix it by adding some more chickpea flour and/or semolina. Remember that if you’re doing this, you’ll also need to increase the amount of seasoning.
- Want an extra boost of flavor and deliciousness to the vadas? Add some chopped ginger into the mix.
- Remember not to overcrowd the air fryer basket with too many vadas at the same time. You’ll ideally need to leave a bit of space between each vada to ensure that the hot air circulates and crisps up all the sides of the vadas nicely.
- You may also want to flip the vadas midway through the cooking process to make sure the vadas are nice and brown on both sides.
- To lend the vadas a bit more flavor, you can add some peri peri seasoning or any other seasoning mix you have at hand.
- To give the vadas a bit of South Indian taste and feel, you can also add some chopped curry leaves into the mixture.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your super crispy air fried sweet corn vadas taste best when served hot and paired with a spicy green chutney or some tomato ketchup. If you don’t have either of these, you can team them up with any other dip of your choice.
Loved trying out this delicious snack? Looking for some more fun and interesting snack recipes you can try out? Here are a few good ones you might want to take a look at.
- Air Fried Raw Mango Cutlets with Tamarind Chutney
- Sweet and Salty Cumin Cookies
- Crispy Baby Corn Salad with Air Fried Baby Corn
Air Fried Sweet Corn Vada
- 1 cup Sweet Corn Kernels, (boiled)
- ¼ cup Onions , (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Carrots , (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilies , (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves, (chopped)
- ¼ cup Besan
- ¼ cup Semolina
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Pre-heat air fryer to 180℃.
- Transfer the boiled sweet corn kernels to a blender and blend it into a smooth paste. Do not add water if not required.
- Next, transfer the blended sweetcorn into a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients and mix well.
- Squeeze and mix the ingredients and make a smooth dough.
- Take a small portion from the dough and shape into a circular disc.
- Make as many balls as you can.
- Coat the ball with semolina.
- Transfer the balls into the airfryer and air fry them at 180℃ for 15-20 minutes or until they turn golden brown. You can flip them once in between and brush some oil so that they are cooked well.
- Serve hot sweet corn vadas with green chutney and onion salad.
Leave a Reply