Healthy Mother’s Day Brunch Idea:
My family and I love both sweet and masala waffles. We even sometimes prefer a minimalist waffle dinner with just chopped and sliced fruits and some pure maple syrup or honey. Soft, fluffy and melt-in-the-mouth waffles get a big accolade in my kitchen. I always use the store-bought protein flapjack or waffle mix(Kodiak Cakes), because it is easy to use and it is protein packed. This time, however, I wanted to try something different. That’s when the idea of savory masala waffle with salad came. Our very own chickpea flour or garbanzo bean flour is the star of this dish. Mixed with spices and herbs, this waffle mixture gives the best result that I could ever have expected. The spicy waffles even taste great as a waffle salad. Just add this moong tabbouleh and some greens and season with my spicy strawberry dressing, and you are going to love this quick masala waffle and waffle salad.
Savory Masala Waffle:
Chickpea flour has a dry texture. Therefore, adding some dressing to this waffle is a good choice. If you are serving hot, the waffle tastes great without a trace of dryness on the palate. However, leftover ones can feel a bit dry. Thus, the salad is a great option if you have some left-over masala waffles in your refrigerator.
This masala waffle is a great source of protein. You can make it sweet too by skipping the spices and herbs. We have tried both and loved it. Here is a picture of the sweet waffle with the same chickpea flour batter minus the herbs and spices.
And The Waffle Salad:
Then comes the heart of the recipe, the moong tabbouleh. Unlike the traditional wheat tabbouleh, this is a gluten-free salad. Just soak and cook the whole green moong with enough water, salt and a pinch of curry powder. Then add cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, strawberry and the dressing of course.
The spicy strawberry dressing is a bomb on the palate. It has a combination of sweet and spicy flavor and still it is a lighter dressing that you can eat with your salads. Just add the dressing to your waffle, toss well so that the chickpea waffles soak the dressing and add the tabbouleh to finish. A day-old waffles work wonderfully for this salad as they soak the dressing really well. With the combination of curry flavored moong tabbouleh, they taste great.
If you are looking for some healthy and new Mother’s Day brunch ideas, this masala waffle and waffle salad will be a great choice. And some other quick ideas for your Mother’s Day brunch menu are here.
For people with diabetes and those looking for a healthier gluten-free diet, chickpea flour is a great choice. That’s because:
- It is an excellent source of protein and fiber
- High fiber helps to maintain hunger spike and regulate blood sugar
- Plus, it can help maintaining your bad fat and cholesterol too.
Because it is easy to use and it is protein packed. This time, however, I wanted to try something different. That’s when the idea of masala waffle came. Our very own chickpea flour or garbanzo bean flour is the star of this dish. Mixed with spices and herbs, this waffle mixture gives the best result that I could have ever expected. The spicy waffles even taste great as a waffle salad. Just add this moong tabbouleh and some greens and season with my spicy strawberry dressing, and you are going to love this quick masala waffle and waffle salad.
Nutrition: 155 cal per serving(2 waffles)
Carb 21 g (fiber 4.1g and sugar 3.9g)
Protein 9 g
Total fat 3.5 g
Spicy Strawberry Dressing:
Nutrition Fact: Serving size 2 tbsp
Calorie per serving 24.9
Total carb 2.4g(Dietary fiber 0.6g, Sugars 1.7g, Protein 0.7g)
Total fat 1.5 g
Curry Flavored Moong Tabbouleh and Waffle Salad:
Nutrition: 99 cal per serving
Total fat 0.5g
Total carb 18.4g(Fiber 5g,Sugar 3.4g)
Happy Mother's Day Week and enjoy!
Savory Masala Waffle and Sweet Waffle
- 1 ½ cup chickpea flour, (Add ½ extra cup if you are skipping the flapjack mix)
- ½ cup protein flapjack mix, (optional)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 2 cups water
- A pinch of salt
For savory masala waffle
- 2 tablespoon Chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- A pinch of carom seed
- Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients and form a smooth batter.
- The basic chickpea waffle batter is ready. You can make sweet waffles with it.
- To make waffles, heat a waffle iron and grease it with oil.
- Pour the batter and close the lid. Cook until done. (Lightly brown and crispy at the edges)
- Add banana slices, strawberry and maple syrup, and serve.
- To the basic waffle batter, add the savory masala waffle ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly and continue making waffles as mentioned in the instructions.
- Serve with curried moong tabbouleh and spicy strawberry dressing.
Curry Flavored Moong Tabbouleh and Waffle Salad
- 1 cup cooked green moong (whole with skin soaked for few hours)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup sliced strawberry
- 1 cup arugula
- Cook moong in a pressure cooker or in an instant pot with water, salt and curry powder.
- Drain the excess water and take the moong beans only.
- In a salad bowl, add all the ingredients and toss well.
- Serve with the spicy strawberry dressing.
- To make the waffle salad, break savory masala waffle into small bite-size pieces.
- Add the dressing and toss well.
- Mix with the tabbouleh and serve with extra spicy strawberry dressing.
Spicy Strawberry Dressing
- ½ cup strawberry puree
- ½ cup vegan Greek style yogurt, (unsweetened)
- 1-2 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar-free agave
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take all the ingredients except cilantro in a blender.
- Blend well until smooth.
- Add chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Adjust salt and pepper by tasting the dressing.
- Serve with masala waffle and waffle salad.
Chickpea flour waffle is interesting.. looks awesome ?
Thank you Lathiya..You know the kind of lazy soul as I am, this always gets a dinner time slot in my kitchen.
Anna @ shenANNAgans
In all my years I have never considered a waffle in savoury form, Sophie, this is incredible, I cant wait to try. And the really great news is, I have all the ingredients to actually give it a whirl asap. Thanks gurl! 🙂
Thank you Anna! You will love it, specially with the spicy strawberry dressing!
Serina aka Ms Frugal Ears
Fabulous. I love chickpea flour and the texture it creates. Never thought of using it in waffles.
I think I need to dust off my waffle iron, those waffles are so cool and original.
You will enjoy making these savory waffle. Thank you Evelyne!