This refreshing and tangy mango watermelon salsa is the perfect accompaniment for your tortillas, chips or any grilled protein. Packed with the flavors of summer and super easy to put together, you’re bound to find yourself making it again and again.
But before you jump right into the recipe, here’s everything you need to know about it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just two sets of ingredients to make the salsa.
For the Charred Tomato Paste
- Tomato (large): 1
For the Salad
- Ripe mango (chopped): 1 cup
- Watermelon (chopped): ½ cup
- Yellow capsicum (chopped): ½ cup
- Red capsicum (chopped): ½ cup
- Green capsicum/Jalapenos (chopped): ¼ cup
- Prepared Tomato paste
- Green chilies (finely chopped): 2 tbsps
- Black pepper powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 2 tsps
- Lemon juice: Half a lemon
- Onions (chopped): ½ cup
- Red paprika powder: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped): For garnish
How to Make the Mango Watermelon Salsa
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s the process you need to follow to make the salsa.
For the charred tomato paste, take a tomato and fire roast it over the stovetop flame. Ensure that the flame is in either low or medium. Fire roast it until the skin of the tomato becomes charred.
Next, let the tomato cool down a bit and then remove the charred skin.
Transfer the tomato into a blender and blend into a rough paste.
Next, take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients mentioned under the salad. Mix everything well. You can adjust the chili and salt as per your taste.
Serve salad as part of a meal or enjoy it as it is during the summers!
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ll need just a few simple and easily available veggies to make this salsa, but why just limit yourself there? Based on your taste and personal preferences, you can add pretty much anything from chopped spring onions, cucumbers and habanero to boiled corn and even avocados. Think of ingredients that work well together and bring some of your own variation into the salsa.
Your mango watermelon salsa can be refrigerated for 3-5 days. Just remember to use a clean airtight container or a glass jar to store it, and use a clean spoon every time you use it.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Mango Watermelon Salsa
While this recipe has a super easy and straightforward set of steps, you might still want to keep these tips in mind to ensure you get the flavors right.
- To lend a bit of extra freshness and flavor to the salsa, you can also chop up some fresh basil and throw it into the mix, right before you serve.
- Want to balance the spice from the salsa? Just drizzle a bit of honey- it’ll also add a nice glazed and shiny effect to the salsa.
- You can also replace the salt in the recipe with garlic salt to give the flavors of the salsa an extra dimension.
- Make sure you choose a ripe and firm mango for the recipe. If you prefer some extra tanginess to the salsa, you can chop up raw mango instead.
- Choose juicy, red and ripe tomatoes for the recipe. Roma and heirloom tomatoes are great choices too.
- Got a few extra minutes? You can char the bell peppers in the same way as you did the tomatoes to lend the salsa some additional smoky flavor.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your mango watermelon salsa tastes great when paired with any chips or crunchy appetizers. You can also team it up with any grilled meats of your choice, or just pile it on your sandwiches or hot dogs for some extra texture and flavor.
Enjoyed making this fun and easy recipe? On the hunt for some more dips and accompaniments that you can replicate in your kitchen? Here are a few good ones you might want to take a look at.
Mango Watermelon Summer Salsa
Ingredients for the Charred Tomato Paste
- 1 pc Tomato , (large)
Ingredients for the Salad
- 1 cup Ripe mango , (chopped)
- ½ cup Watermelon , (chopped)
- ½ cup Yellow capsicum, (chopped)
- ½ cup Red capsicum , (chopped)
- ¼ cup Green capsicum/Halapenos, (chopped)
- 1 bowl Prepeared Tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon Green chilies , (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- ½ pc Lemon juice
- ½ cup Onions , (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Red paprika powder
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves, (chopped for garnish)
- For the Charred tomato paste, take a tomato and fire roast it over stovetop flame. Ensure that the flame is in either low or medium. Fire roast it until the skin of the tomato becomes charred.
- Next, let the tomato cool down a bit and then remove the charred skin.
- Transfer the tomato into a blender and blend into a rough paste.
- Next, take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients mentioned under salad. Mix everything well. You can adjust the chili and salt as per your taste.
- Serve salad as part of a meal or enjoy it as it is during the summers!