These Italian chicken salami puffs have the flaky, crispy crust surrounding a delicious cheesy and meaty pizza sauce, and are cooked to perfection.
While it may sound like they need a lot of time and effort to put together, they actually don’t, and are fairly easy to recreate in the kitchen, even if you aren’t an expert. Plus, you can also batch make them and store them for later.
Scroll down to get a quick overview of how to make them the right way.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the Italian chicken salami puffs, here’s what you’ll need.
- Puff pastry (square): 1
- Pizza sauce: 2 tbsp
- Mixed Italian herbs: 2 tsp
- Chicken salami: 2 slices
- Cheese (grated): 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper seasoning: A pinch
How to Make the Italian Chicken Salami Puffs
Once you have everything ready, here’s the process you need to follow to make the puffs.
Preheat the oven to 180℃.
Take a puff pastry square sheet.
Apply pizza sauce on one side.
Next, sprinkle mixed Italian herbs and place the salamis on top.
Add the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Next, fold the other half of the pastry sheet into a triangle.
Secure the ends well so that nothing escapes while baking.
Use a fork and make marks at the edge. This helps secure the puff pastry.
Transfer the stuffed puff pastry into the oven and bake at 180℃ for 18-20 minutes or until it becomes golden brown in color.
Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
While this recipe calls for the use of just the chicken salami, pizza sauce and cheese as the filling, you can always go ahead, experiment and throw in some more add-ons.
Chopped veggies like bell peppers, carrots, onions, zucchini, mushrooms and broccoli taste great with the pizza sauce. You can also add some olives and jalapenos into the mix.
If you don’t have chicken salami, you can make do with shredded rotisserie chicken or even ground chicken.
If you don’t have store-bought pizza sauce, you could use any other homemade pasta sauce that you have at hand. If you don’t have any of these, you can simply combine the seasoned chicken with lots of grated mozzarella cheese and use it as a filling.
Filo dough is the closest alternative to puff pastry dough. If you don’t have either of these- you can just use pizza dough. While you won’t get the same flaky texture and crunch with the pizza dough, they’ll still turn out delicious.
You can assemble the puffs and allow them to chill in the freezer until they are solid, then get them out and transfer them to a freezer safe container. That way, when you want to enjoy them, all you need to do is get them out and bake them.
Your leftover cooked Italian chicken salami puffs can be transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Then, when you want to enjoy them again, just get them out and reheat them in the microwave.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Italian Chicken Salami Puffs
While putting these puffs together is super easy, you might want to have these tips and tricks handy to make sure you nail the recipe.
- To give these crispy puffs a nice and shiny look, brush them with a bit of whisked egg yolk before you pop them in the oven.
- If you don’t have an oven, you can replicate the same recipe in your Air Fryer too- they’ll just need less time to cook, so keep that in mind.
- Remember to thaw your puff pastry if you had it in the freezer. This will make assembly easy and the puffs will cook through well too!
- To enhance the flavors of the filling, you can also add some chopped basil into it.
- Ground mustard and garlic powder can also be added into the mix to dial the flavors of the filling up a notch.
- To lend the puffs a nice extra fun element, you can also sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top before you pop them in the oven to bake them.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These crispy and flaky Italian chicken salami puffs can be served on their own as an evening snack, or teamed up with a nice dip or chutney on the side. If you’ve got nothing else to pair them with- just regular tomato ketchup can do the trick.
Enjoyed trying out this snack? Here are a few more easy snack that you can replicate in your kitchen in minutes.
- Air Fryer Delhi Aloo Chaat
- Crispy Baby Corn Salad with Air Fried Baby Corn
- Semolina and Potato Breakfast Cutlets
Italian Chicken Salami Puffs
- 1 pc Puff Pastry , (square)
- 2 tablespoon Pizza Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Mixed Italian herbs
- 2 slices Chicken Salami
- 1 tablespoon Cheese , (grated)
- 1 pinch Salt and Pepper Seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Take a puff pastry square sheet.
- Apply pizza sauce on one side.
- Next, sprinkle mixed Italian herbs and place the salamis on top.
- Add the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, fold the other half of the pastry sheet into a triangle.
- Secure the ends well so that nothing escapes while baking.
- Use a fork and make marks at the edge. This helps secure the puff pastry.
- Transfer the stuffed puff pastry into the oven and bake at 180℃ for 18-20 minutes or until it becomes golden brown in color. Remove from the oven and serve hot.