This creamy vegan potato soup is rich, comforting and full of flavor, making it a great meal or a side dish.
The soup comes together super quick, and takes just a handful of ingredients to put together. What’s more, the flavors of this soup are super subtle and versatile, making it a total hit with everyone in the family.
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a try? Here’s all you need to know about making it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the creamy vegan potato soup, you’ll need just a few ingredients
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Onion (chopped): ¼ cup
- Garlic (crushed): 5-6 cloves
- Italian mixed herb seasoning: 2 tbsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Potatoes (boiled and mashed): 1 cup
- Water: 1 cup
- Parsley (chopped): For garnish
- Black pepper powder: For garnish
How to Make the Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
Once you have all the ingredients ready, here is the process you will need to follow to make the potato soup.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
Next, add the seasonings and salt. Saute.
Add the potatoes next and mix.
Add the water and bring it to a boil.
Let the mixture simmer for 5-6 minutes.
Next, using a hand blender, blend the potatoes into a puree. If you do not have a hand blender, then just transfer everything to a blender and blend into a smooth paste.
Transfer the blended mixture into the pan and let it cook for a minute. (If using a blender)
Serve thick creamy potato soup after garnishing with chopped parsley and black pepper powder.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have used mashed potatoes, onions and garlic to make this delicious soup. If you want to make the soup more nutritious and healthy, you can also add some other veggies of your choice.
Broccoli, green peas, carrots, leek, butternut squash, pumpkin, cauliflower and carrots, are all great choices and can make for wonderful additions to the soup.
If you have any leftovers, allow them to cool down completely before you transfer them to a covered container.
This creamy vegan potato soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and reheated whenever needed.
The best way to reheat the soup is to microwave it or reheat it on the stovetop. Remember to keep the heat low, and stir the soup consistently to keep it from getting burned.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
While the recipe is super easy, having these little tips and tricks can make it even more convenient.
- While mashed potatoes are the key ingredient that make up this soup and lend it the thickness, you can also add a bit of corn flour slurry if you want the soup to have a nice uniform texture and consistency.
- If you want the soup to have a more creamy taste, you can add some cashew butter into the soup as well.
- Coconut milk can also be a great vegan addition to the soup, which can make it more creamy and delicious.
- If you’re adding more veggies to the soup, you may want to boil them completely until they are soft, and then mash them along with the boiled potatoes if you want the soup to have a uniform consistency.
- If you don’t mind a bit of texture, you can chop these veggies first, saute them in a bit of oil, and then add them to the soup.
- To lend the soup a bit of extra flavor, you can also add a veggie or mushroom stock cube into the mix.
- If you like a bit of heat in your soup, you can add some chili flakes or cayenne into the mix too!
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
The best way to solve this creamy vegan potato soup is to team it up with some crusty bread on the side. I also love adding some grated vegan cheese on the top of each soup bowl before I serve it. The cheese melts beautifully thanks to the heat from the soup, and the dish looks so well put together too!
This can easily become a complete meal, and if you want to go the extra mile, you can also make a crunchy salad to go with it.
Enjoy trying this delicious soup? Here are some more flavourful and easy soup recipes. You might want to check out
- Instant Pot Spring Onion and Coriander Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Red Lentil Tomato Soup
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ cup Onion , (chopped)
- 5-6 cloves Garlic , (crushed)
- 2 tablespoon Italian mixed herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Potatoes , (boiled and mashed)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Parsley , (chopped For garnish)
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder, (For garnish)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Next, add the seasoning sand salt. Saute.
- Add the potatoes next and mix.
- Add the water and bring it to a boil.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Next, using a hand blender, blend the potatoes into a puree. If you do not have a hand blender, then just transfer everything to a blender and blend into a smooth paste.
- Transfer the blended mixture into the pan and let it cook for a minute. (If using a blender)
- Serve thick creamy potato soup after garnishing with chopped parsley and black pepper powder.