Super moist and chocolatey cupcakes topped with a delicious and fluffy peanut butter frosting is match made in heaven. And that’s what this recipe is all about.
Scroll down and read on to get a quick gist of everything you need to know about making these cupcakes from scratch.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the chocolatey cupcakes with the peanut butter frosting.
For the cupcakes
- Eggs: 2
- Butter: 4 tbsps
- Milk: ¾ cup
- Sugar (powdered): ½ cup
- Vanilla extract: ½ tbsp
- All purpose flour: ¾ cup
- Cocoa powder: ¼ cup
- Salt: A pinch
- Baking soda: 1 tsp
For the frosting
- Cream cheese: ½ cup
- Peanut butter: ½ cup
- Water: 2 tbsps or as required
- Sugar: ¼ cup
How to Make the Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the cupcakes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Take a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and whisk them. Next, add the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Next, add the flour, cocoa powder. Mix them well.
Next, add the milk little by little and make a consistent batter.
Add the salt and baking powder next and mix well.
Pour the batter into the muffin tray.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
While the cupcakes are cooking, prepare the frosting by mixing all the ingredients together. Insert the frosting into a piping bag.
Cool down the cupcakes and pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake.
Frequently Asked Questions
The classic chocolatey cupcakes, when paired with the creamy peanut butter frosting is what makes this recipe such a success. However, you can still give it your take and bring about a little bit of variation into the recipe.
For some texture, you can throw in some chocolate chips or peanut butter chips. Prefer something more healthy? Adding crushed lightly toasted nuts into the batter can do the trick.
To make the cupcakes softer and richer in flavor and texture, replace the milk in the recipe for buttermilk. Another secret to making sure your chocolatey cupcakes have the perfect spongy and soft texture is to avoid overmixing the batter.
This tip works for not just this recipe, but for all other baked goods in general.
While the cream cheese lends a nice depth of flavor to the frosting when paired with the peanut butter, you can totally skip it and use regular vanilla frosting or fresh cream instead, and the cupcakes will taste just as good.
Your leftover chocolatey cupcakes can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for upto a week. Remember to allow them to come to room temperature first and then frost and/or serve them to enjoy the best balance of flavor and texture.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Chocolatey Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
While making these cupcakes is actually pretty easy, having these little tips and tricks up your sleeve can really help.
- Cocoa powder is pretty easily available in most stores, but the key to making the best chocolate cupcakes is to use the best quality cocoa powder for the recipe. Believe it or not, this can really help the flavor shine through.
- To check if your cupcakes are done, insert a clean toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If it comes out clean, your cupcakes are done.
- Remember to allow the cupcakes to cool down completely on a cooling rack before you start to frost them.
- Make sure you use creamy peanut butter for the frosting. Natural peanut butter might seem like a better choice considering how healthy it is, but it doesn’t do too well when mixed into the frosting base.
- To make these cupcakes more fancy, you can top the frosting with a mini peanut butter cup.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
While the cupcakes can be kept simple with the peanut butter frosting, you can, obviously, take things up a notch and top them with some chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips to make them more fun and interesting.
Don’t have either of them? A light drizzle of chocolate sauce on the top, right before you serve can be another great option.
Loved trying your hands at this easy yet delicious dessert? Looking for some more fun and interesting dessert recipes? Here are a few handpicked ones you might want to take a shot at!
Chocolatey Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
Ingredients For the cupcakes
- 2 pcs Eggs
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- ¾ cup Milk
- ½ cup Sugar , (powdered)
- ½ tablespoon Vanilla extract
- ¾ cup All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
Ingredients For the frosting
- ½ cup Cream cheese
- ½ cup Peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon Water
- ¼ cup Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and whisk them. Next, add the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Next, add the flour, cocoa powder. Mix them well.
- Next, add the milk little by little and make a consistent batter.
- Add the salt and baking powder next and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tray.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes or until the toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, prepare the frosting by mixing all the ingredients together. Insert the frosting into a piping bag.
- Cool down the cupcakes and pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Adjust the sugar as per your taste. This recipe is not on the sweet side. You can add more sugar if you want the cupcakes to be on the sweeter side.