Packed with the goodness of veggies and mildly flavored, this carrot and peas macaroni recipe is perfect for toddlers and even for adults looking for a no-fuss, easy to prepare snack or meal.
This pasta dish has an Indian touch with some classic spices being used, which doesn’t just add to the flavor, but also lends it a beautiful color to it.
Tempted enough to give the recipe a shot? Here’s all you need to know about making it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need a few simple pantry staples to put the carrot and peas macaroni together.
- Ghee/clarified butter: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 2 tsp
- Bird’s eye red chili (or any chili of your choice): 1 tbsp
- Garlic (minced): 2 tbsp
- Peas: ½ cup
- Red carrots (chopped): 2 cups
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Mixed herb seasonings: 1.5 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: ½ tsp
- Salt: 2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Macaroni (cooked): 2 cups
How to Make the Carrot and Peas Macaroni
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the macaroni.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds.
Next, add the chilies and garlic. Saute. Cook until the garlic turns golden brown.
Add the peas and red carrots next. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the carrots turn soft.
Next, add all the spices and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add in the cooked macaroni next and mix well.
Cook for 30 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe calls for the use of three key ingredients- macaroni, carrots and peas, along with a few spices and seasonings. However, if you want to go the extra mile, you can add in some more ingredients of your choice too. Here are a few good veggies and add-ons you can consider throwing into the mix.
- Bell peppers
- Baby spinach
- Golden corn
- Cherry tomatoes
- Baby corn
If you don’t have macaroni or are just looking for an alternative, you could use any other kind of pasta. Farfalle, tagliatelle and even spaghetti work great for this recipe. Just remember to cook it well until it is al-dente.
You sure can! The veggies can be chopped up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated in containers. You can also boil the pasta, toss it in some olive oil so that they don’t stick together, and refrigerate it in a clean container.
Then, when you want to put the dish together, you have almost everything ready to go!
This carrot and peas macaroni calls for the use of very simple spices to add flavor to the dish. However, if you want to make the pasta more creamy, you can add some heavy cream or coconut cream into the mix.
If you don’t have either of these, you can add some sour cream into it towards the end, and give it a good mix.
Your leftover carrot and peas macaroni can be transferred to a freezer safe container and refrigerated until it is ready to use. Remember to reheat the macaroni in the microwave or in a pan with some water sprinkled over it, and over low heat if you’re using the stove.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Carrot and Peas Macaroni
While putting this dish together is super easy, having these tips and tricks handy can be a great idea.
- While cooking the macaroni, it is a good idea to reserve a bit of the pasta cooking water separately. This starchy water can be added to the dish to loosen up the sauce (or any pasta sauce) and help the sauce coat the pasta well.
- Want to enhance the flavor and nutritive value of this pasta dish? Cook the macaroni in chicken broth or veggie broth instead of water.
- If you don’t want to use broth, you can just add some chopped leek to the pasta cooking water to get some extra flavor into your carrot and peas macaroni dish.
- Don’t forget to top the pasta with a generous sprinkle of your favorite cheese- like grated Parmesan cheese or processed cheese.
- This recipe relies on a simple mix of spices and seasonings. If you really want to give some bulk to the macaroni and want it to be well coated with a sauce, you can add some marinara sauce or any classic pasta sauce you have at hand.
- Want to spice up the pasta dish even more? Add some red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce into the mix.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This easy carrot and peas macaroni can be served on its own- no extra effort needed. Since this pasta dish doesn’t have a lot of sauce, you don’t need to team it up with any crusty bread on the side too.
Just serve the pasta hot with your favorite seasonings and toppings and you’re done.
Loved trying out this pasta recipe in your kitchen? On the hunt for some more incredible pasta recipes to try your hands at? Here are a few good handpicked ones you might want to try out.
- Lemony Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Garlic and Spinach
- Baked Penne Pasta in a Cup
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Vegan
Carrot and Peas Macaroni
- 1 tablespoon Ghee/Clarified butter
- 2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Bird’s eye red chili , (or any chili of your choice)
- 2 tablespoon Garlic , (minced)
- ½ cup Peas
- 2 cups Red carrots , (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoon Mixed herb seasonings
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Macaroni , (cooked)
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds.
- Next, add the chilies and garlic. Saute. Cook until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the peas and red carrots next. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the carrots turn soft.
- Next, add all the spices and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the cooked macaroni next and mix well.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Serve hot.
Leave a Reply