This lemony whole wheat spaghetti recipe is perfect for the busy weeknights when you want to indulge in something delicious and yet healthy. Packed with the goodness of garlic and spinach, this incredibly creamy and flavorful pasta recipe is one you’ve got to try your hands at.
Scroll down and read on to get a quick gist of everything you need to know about making it the right way.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need a very simple set of ingredients to make the lemony whole wheat spaghetti.
- Whole wheat spaghetti: ½ packet
- Olive oil: 1 tbsp
- Garlic (finely chopped): 4 tbsps
- Spinach (chopped): 2 cups
- Chili flakes: 1 tbsp
- Mixed herb seasonings: 2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: 2 tsps
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Readymade white sauce: ¼ cup
- Lemon zest: ½ tbsp
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
How to Make the Lemony Whole Wheat Spaghetti
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the spaghetti.
In a deep bottomed vessel, cook the spaghetti as per packaging instructions.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and cook until they are fragrant.
Next, add the chopped spinach and saute for a minute.
Add in the chili flakes, mixed herb seasonings, black pepper powder, and salt next and mix well.
Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.
Add in the cooked spaghetti and mix well.
Serve hot after garnishing with chopped parsley.
Frequently Asked Questions
This classic lemony whole wheat spaghetti relies on the simplicity of a few ingredients, but you can, obviously, bring in a little more of your touch by adding in some more veggies or add-ons of your choice.
Chopped kale and arugula are good ‘green’ additions to the spaghetti. You can also add some roughly cut up basil for some extra flavor and deliciousness.
You can also add some other veggies like chopped bell peppers, carrots, golden corn and zucchini into the mix.
While this recipe tastes best with whole wheat spaghetti, you can still try out different variations by using any different pasta of your choice. Fettuccine and elbow pasta are two good choices.
You actually can! While store bought white sauce is always super convenient, you can batch make it over the weekend in your kitchen, and use it for all of your delicious culinary creations throughout the week.
To make the white sauce, all you need to do is heat some butter or olive oil in a pan, add in a little all purpose flour and let it cook for a minute, stirring continuously. Then, slowly add in some whole milk while stirring the mixture, and let it cook for a few more minutes before seasoning it.
Your leftover lemony whole wheat pasta can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Make sure you use an airtight container to retain its freshness, and reheat it in the microwave with a little sprinkle of water to get it nice and moist.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Lemony Whole Wheat Spaghetti
While making this lemony whole wheat spaghetti is pretty simple, keeping these additional tips and tricks in mind can really make a difference.
- To make the pasta sauce more creamy and flavorful, add in some grated Parmesan cheese and give it a good mix.
- Make sure you don’t overcook the pasta. It needs to have a bit of chewiness when you drain it. This will help keep it from getting soft and lumpy when you put the dish together.
- To make the spaghetti dish healthier and with more textures, top it with some roughly chopped up and lightly toasted walnuts.
- Got some zaatar spice? Don’t hesitate to add it to the mix. It will lend the dish a nice warm aroma and flavor.
- To make the spaghetti more flavorful, cook it in vegetable (or chicken) broth instead of water.
- Don’t forget to top the lemony whole wheat spaghetti with a generous sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves before you serve.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Just like any other pasta dish, this lemony whole wheat spaghetti tastes great when served fresh and warm. You can enjoy it on its own, or team it up with some crusty bread on the side.
You can also pair it with a nice bowl of soup to turn it into a complete meal if you want to.
Loved how easy it was to recreate this delicious recipe in your kitchen? Looking for some more fun and easy recipes to try out? Here are a few handpicked ones you might want to take a look at.
Lemony Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Garlic and Spinach
- ½ packet Whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 tablespoon Garlic , (finely chopped)
- 2 cups Spinach , (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon Mixed herb seasonings
- 2 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Readymade white sauce
- ½ tablespoon Lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- In a deep bottomed vessel, cook the spaghetti as per packaging instructions.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic and cook until they are fragrant.
- Next, add the chopped spinach and saute for a minute.
- Add in the chili flakes, mixed herb seasonings, black pepper powder, and salt next and mix well.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add in the cooked spaghetti and mix well.
- Serve hot after garnishing with chopped parsley.