Whether you’re hit by a midnight pasta craving or are just looking for an easy snack that you can put together with just the stuff in your pantry, this baked penne pasta in a cup is the perfect recipe to try out.
It is a great way to utilize any leftover pasta you may have, or put together when you don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.
Read on to get to know more about how to put the dish together.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just 6 simple pantry essentials to put this easy pasta in a cup together.
- Cheese (shredded/grated): ¼ cup
- Pasta red sauce: 6 tbsp
- Basil leaves (chopped): 2-3
- Penne pasta of your choice: As required
- Black pepper powder: A pinch
- Salt: A pinch
How to Make the Penne Pasta in a Cup
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s the step by step process you’ll need to follow to put the pasta dish together.
Take a ceramic cup that is oven friendly.
Layer the bottom of the cup with 2 tablespoon of pasta sauce.
Add shredded/grated cheese.
Add in the chopped basil leaves.
Layer it with another 2 tablespoon paste sauce.
Season with black pepper powder and salt.
Next, add the remaining shredded mozzarella.
Arrange the penne pasta in a circular manner inside the cup.
Top it with the remaining pasta sauce.
Garnish with the grated cheese.
Preheat the oven and bake the pasta at 200°C for 20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use a glass cup to make this baked penne pasta- just make sure it is made using oven friendly material and you should be good.
You can use practically any other kind of pasta you have at hand. Penne is a classic, of course, but you can also try out this recipe with spaghetti, fettuccine, macaroni and fusilli too.
While this recipe is super simple and easy to put together, you can give it your own take and throw in some veggies to make it more nutritious and healthy. Carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, onions and broccoli all work wonderfully.
You can also top the pasta with some sliced jalapenos or olives for an extra tangy kick.
Red pasta sauce aka marinara sauce is an absolute classic that you’ll most likely have in your pantry. However, if you’re looking to try out a different variation to this recipe, you can swap it with some alfredo or pesto or practically any other homemade or jarred pasta sauce of your choice.
While this recipe calls for the use of cooked pasta, you can start with raw pasta too. Just take equal amounts of dry pasta and water in a cup, and microwave on high until cooked, making sure you open and stir at every 30-60 second intervals.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Penne Pasta in a Cup
While the recipe is super easy no doubt, you might want to have these tips and tricks handy to make sure you nail the recipe.
- Make sure you choose a mug that is wide, and is about twice the capacity of a regular mug. The wider the mug, the easier it is for you to cook the pasta and mix all the ingredients together.
- While putting this dish together is super easy, if you really want to prep this in advance, you totally can! All you need to do is cover it after you’re done cooking it and refrigerate it. Then, just sprinkle a few drops of water and reheat it in the microwave.
- You can always use a cheese block and grate your own cheese and use it for the recipe, but using packaged shredded cheese is better, especially for this recipe. This is because it is usually coated with cornflour, which makes the sauce nice and thick.
- To make the pasta healthy, add a dash of olive oil into the mix, and use homemade marinara sauce instead of the packaged variety.
- Want an extra boost of flavor? Top the pasta with a sprinkle of Italian seasoning and/or red pepper flakes.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This delicious and flavorful baked penne pasta in a cup can be enjoyed on its own. You can also consider teaming it up with some other sides or appetizers like cheesy chicken tenders or some cauliflower pizza if you want to keep it healthy.
Loved how this recipe turned out and want to experiment with some more? Here are a few handpicked ones you might want to check out.
Baked Penne Pasta in a Cup
- ¼ cup Cheese , (shredded/grated)
- 6 tablespoon Pasta Red Sauce
- 3 pcs Basil Leaves , (chopped)
- 1 cup Penne Pasta , (of your choice)
- 1 pinch Black Pepper Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- Take a ceramic cup that is oven friendly.
- Layer the bottom of the cup with 2 tbsps of pasta sauce.
- Add shredded/grated cheese.
- Add inthe chopped basil leaves.
- Layer it with another 2 tbsps paste sauce.
- Season with black pepper powder and salt.
- Next, add the remaining shredded mozzarella.
- Arrange the penne pasta in a circular manner inside the cup.
- Top it with the remaining pasta sauce.
- Garnish with the grated cheese.
- Pre-heat the oven and bake the pasta at 200°C for20 minutes.
- Enjoy hot!