Love desserts but don’t like preheating your oven and putting in all that extra effort into whipping up one? You’ve got to try making this caramelized banana cake in a pan.
This dish is exactly what it sounds like, a simple and delicious cake packed with the goodness of bananas, carefully balanced with caramel-y flavors, and put together in a pan!
Ready to give this ultra easy recipe a try? Here’s what you need to know about making it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the rich and caramelized banana cake, you’ll need just a handful of ingredients.
- Bananas (ripened): 4-5
- Coffee powder: 2 tbsp
- Sugar: ¼ cup or as per taste
- Egg: 1
- All purpose flour: ½ cup
- Ghee: 3 tbsp
- Banana (normal and cut in half): 1
How to Make the Caramelized Banana Cake
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to make the banana cake.
Using a blender, make a smooth paste of the ripe bananas.
Next, transfer the banana paste into a bowl. Add the coffee powder, sugar, and egg. Give it a good mix.
Add the flour next and fold everything together. You should end up with a mixture that has a flowy consistency.
Next, heat ghee in a pan and add the cut banana pieces.
Transfer the prepared mixture over the banana pieces. Make sure the bananas are covered by the mixture.
Cover the pan with a lid and cook the mixture for 10 minutes on a low flame. Don't use high heat as it will burn the bottom.
Next, flip the cake and cook the other side as well for 8-10 minutes. You can use a toothpick to check if the cake is cooked inside.
Serve as a dessert after it comes down to room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
You sure can! While you will find that your caramelized banana cake performs and tastes a tad better when you use all purpose flour, whole wheat flour is a great option if you’re consciously trying to eat healthy.
For this easy cake, we’ve used sliced bananas as the ‘topping’ but you can experiment and try out many different toppings and add-ons of your choice.
Chopped nuts like walnuts and pistachios, chocolate chips and caramel chips are all great choices.
If you have any leftovers, you can transfer them in an airtight container before you refrigerate them. These can be stored for 2-3 days, and taste best when reheated and warmed up a bit.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Caramelized Banana Cake
Think you’re ready to try out this fun and interesting dessert? Wait up! You might want to keep these little tips and tricks handy before you do.
- The ghee is what lends this banana cake some extra flavor. If you don’t have ghee, you can use unsalted butter instead.
- While this recipe calls for the use of banana slices cut breadthwise, you can also choose to cut the bananas lengthwise and then arrange them in the pan.
- Remember to use a good quality non-stick pan for this recipe. You might be tempted to use your cast iron skillet or any other pan, but none of those will work as effectively as a non-stick pan will, particularly for this dessert.
- You can also sprinkle some whole or chopped nuts along with the bananas before you top it with the cake mixture. This will get the nuts to crisp up and add a nice bit of texture to the cake.
- Adding a dash of vanilla extract to the cake mixture is another plus. It will balance out the flavors of the bananas and the coffee beautifully.
- To make this cake in a pan more creamy and delicious, you can also add a bit of Greek yogurt or sour cream into it. If you’re adding it, you might need to cut down on the number of bananas you’re using to ensure that the cake has the right consistency.
- If you really want to turn this into a baked good, you can add a bit of baking powder into the cake mixture, assemble everything in a springform pan instead of your non-stick pan, and bake the cake in a preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This delicious caramelized banana cake can be enjoyed as is, when it is still warm. It is a great dessert to make and serve everyone in the family, and if you want to take it up a notch, you can also top it with some whipped cream or serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Caramelized Banana Cake in a Pan
- 4-5 Bananas , (ripened)
- 2 tablespoon Coffee Powder
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Banana , (normal and cut in half)
- Using a blender, make a smooth paste of the ripe bananas.
- Next, transfer the banana paste into a bowl. Add the coffee powder, sugar, and egg. Give it a good mix.
- Add the flour next and fold everything together. You should end up with a mixture that has a flowy consistency.
- Next, heat ghee in a pan and add the cut banana pieces.
- Transfer the prepared mixture over the banana pieces. Make sure the bananas are covered by the mixture.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the mixture for 10 minutes on a low flame. Don't use high heat as it will burn the bottom.
- Next, flip the cake and cook the other side as well for 8-10 minutes. You can use a toothpick to check if the cake is cooked inside.
- Serve as a dessert after it comes down to room temperature.
Leave a Reply