Crunchy and flavorful, these air fried peas are the perfect gluten free healthy snack you need to try your hands at. They’re super easy to make and take just a few minutes to prep.
But before you jump right onto the recipe, here’s a quick rundown of everything you need to know about making it the right way.
Ingredients For the Recipe
Here’s everything you’ll need to make the air fried peas from scratch.
- Peas: 2 cups
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsps
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Dry mango powder: 2 tsps
How to Make the Air Fried Peas
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s the process you need to follow to make the air fried peas.
Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the peas and mix well.
Spray a bit of oil on the air fryer basket.
Cook the peas at 320°F for 40-45 minutes.
Keep shaking the air fryer basket every 10 minutes.
Spread the cooked peas on a plate and let them cool. They should crisp up a bit.
Have as a healthy evening snack with tea.
Frequently Asked Questions
While using fresh green peas is always the best choice, you can also use frozen peas if that’s what you have at hand. Make sure you allow the peas to defrost and come to room temperature, then wipe away all the excess moisture using paper towels and then follow the rest of the steps as is.
This extra step will help all the spices cling to the surface of the peas well, and will also significantly cut down the cooking time.
Your crispy air fried peas are ready to be consumed as is, right after they are out of the air fryer. However, if you have some leftovers, or if you have made the peas in a big batch, you can transfer them to an airtight jar, and let it stay on the countertop. These peas can stay crunchy and fresh for upto a week, if not more, which gives you enough time to whip up the next batch.
Not a fan of green peas? Or maybe you want to try replicating this recipe with another food item? You can totally do that too! Chickpeas are an excellent fun alternative, and so are sliced plantains, zucchini and carrots. All you need to remember is that the cooking time for each of these ingredients may vary, so make sure you keep checking them and remove them after they are nice and crispy.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fried Peas
Ready to give this simple and easy recipe a shot? Keep these additional tips and hacks in mind to make sure you nail the recipe.
- Make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket with the peas. If you have a big batch that you want to work with, break it down into multiple smaller batches.
- You don’t necessarily need to stick to using just these spices- you can also use any other spices and seasonings of your choice.
- If you prefer a bit of heat, sprinkle some paprika or cayenne pepper powder.
- Like to stick to subtle flavors? Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese and lemon pepper blend or some Italian seasoning blend.
- To help the spices coat the peas well, toss the peas in some olive oil before you add the spices in.
- Make sure to shake the air fryer basket regularly to get the peas to crisp up nicely on all the sides.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This crunchy and delicious healthy snack can be served as is, with your evening cup of tea or coffee. You can also add a handful into your salads to add a little crunch factor and texture to them.
And if you enjoyed making these crunchy, air fried delights, you can also try out some other similar air fryer recipes like the ones below.
Air Fried Peas: A Healthy Snack
- 2 cup Peas
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon Dry mango powder
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the peas and mix well.
- Spray a bit of oil on the air fryer basket.
- Cook the peas at 320°F for 40-45 minutes.
- Keep shaking the air fryer basket every 10 minutes.
- Spread the cooked peas on a plate and let them cool. They should crisp up a bit.
- Have as a healthy evening snack with tea.