These air fried black eyed bean fritters are super crispy, flavourful and a perfect healthy evening snack that you can put together in just under 20 minutes.
They are packed with protein and make for a wholesome and guilt-free snack to munch on during the early evening.
Best of all, they are super customisable too. Scroll down to get a quick gist of how to make these fritters.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You will need just a few simple ingredients to make the black eyed bean fritters
- Black eyed beans (boiled): ¾ cup
- Green chili: 1
- Onions (sliced): ¼ cup
- Red chili powder: ½ tsp
- Salt: ½ teaspoon or as per taste
- Ginger garlic paste: ½ tsp
- Ginger (finely chopped): 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped): 2 tbsp
- Kidney beans (boiled): ¼ cup
- Black lentils (boiled): ¼ cup
- Chickpea flour: ½ cup or as required
How to Make the Air Fried Black Eyed Bean Fritters
Once you have all the ingredients ready, here is what you will need to do to make the black eyed bean fritters.
Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
Take a mixing bowl. Add the ingredients one by one and make a smooth dough.
Make round medium-sized shapes and transfer to the air fryer.
Air fry them for 15 minutes or until they turn crispy.
Serve with green chutney of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
I used a mix of three different lentils for this recipe, because that’s what I had at hand. You can also use any other lentils of your choice. Chickpeas, brown chana and dals are all great choices.
You can also add some chopped veggies like carrots, cabbage, broccoli and mushrooms into the mix if you want to make these fritters healthier.
If you have any leftover fritters, you can store them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for 2 to 3 days.
These fritters can then be reheated in the microwave or in the Air Fryer, depending on your personal preference.
I would recommend using the Air Fryer to reheat them, especially if you want them to retain their crunchy and crispy texture.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fried Black Eyed Bean Fritters
While making these black eyed bean fritters is super easy, you might want to keep these little tips and tricks in mind as well.
- Chickpea flour in the recipe acts as the binding agent for the fritters. If you don’t have the chickpea flour, you could use all purpose flour instead.
- To make these fritters extra crispy, add a bit of rice flour in the binding as well.
- If you don’t want to use the Air Fryer, you can replicate the same recipe and bake the fritters as well
- Remember to leave a little space in between each of the fritters in the Air Fryer basket to keep them from sticking to each other and getting them to brown up and get crispy nicely.
- To make the perfect even size rounds, I would recommend using an ice cream scoop to portion out the batter into equal sections.
- Based on your personal taste preference, you can adjust the amount and kind of seasoning you are using for the recipe
- To get the fritters to crisp up nicely and turn golden brown, brush them with a little oil before you add them into the Air Fryer basket.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These crispy and crunchy air fried black eyed bean fritters are perfect when served as an evening snack teamed up with a chutney or a dipping sauce of your choice.
I personally love enjoying them with my spring onion chutney.
You can also serve them as a side dish with any of your Indian curries and rice.
If you’re making these for a party, you can also serve them with some Air Fryer pakoras.
If you enjoyed making these crispy and crunchy air fried black eyed bean fritters, and are inspired to try some more such appetizers, here are a few handpicked ones worth checking out.
- Dal Vada with Green Chutney: Indian Chickpea Fritters
- Air Fried Lentil Fritters with Tamarind Chutney
- Air Fried Raw Banana Fritters
Air Fried Black Eyed Bean Fritters
- ¾ cup Black Eyed Beans , (boiled)
- 1 Green Chili
- ¼ cup Onions , (sliced)
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger , (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves , (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Kidney Beans , (boiled)
- ¼ cup Black Lentils , (boiled)
- ½ cup Chickpea Flour
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add the ingredients one by one and make a smooth dough.
- Make round medium-sized shapes and transfer to the air fryer.
- Air fry them for 15 minutes or until they turn crispy.
- Serve with green chutney of your choice.