Packed with protein and full of flavor, this vegan yellow lentil salad is one of the healthiest and most delicious vegan salads you could try.
It takes just a few minutes to come together and is truly one of the easiest salads you could make.
Plus, it is versatile too- you can pair it with almost any of your favorite meals and it is sure to be a total crowd pleaser.
Ready to give this recipe a try? Scroll down to get a closer look at everything you need to do to make it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the vegan yellow lentil salad, you’ll need just a handful of other ingredients apart from the lentils.
- Yellow lentils: ½ cup
- Onions (chopped): ¼ cup
- Tomatoes (chopped): 1 medium
- Ginger (julienne): ½ inch or as per taste
- Green chilies (finely chopped): 1 tbsp
- Raw mango (chopped): ¼ cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Chaat masala: 2 tsp
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice: Half a lemon
- Coriander leaves (chopped): 2-3 tbsp
How to Make the Vegan Yellow Lentil Salad
Once you have assembled all your ingredients, here’s what you’ll need to do to put the dish together.
Soak the yellow lentils in water for at least 45 minutes or until they have absorbed water and are soft.
Then, drain them of the water and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients in batches and keep mixing.
Serve with a slice of lemon on the side for that extra zingy effect.
Frequently Asked Questions
Apart from everything that’s on the list, you can add in some more veggies and other ingredients of your choice to bulk up this healthy salad.
Chopped cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers and beet are some good options.
You can also add some shredded green, iceberg lettuce and purple cabbage into the salad if you want to.
If you have any leftover yellow lentil salad, you can store it for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
The best way to do this is to cover your salad bowl with some cling wrap to ensure that it is at its best freshness level. You can also transfer the salad to an airtight container if you want to.
You sure can! The lentils can be soaked and cooked in advance. You can then put all the rest of the ingredients together when you want to assemble the salad.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Vegan Yellow Lentil Salad
Before you go ahead and give this recipe a try, here are some tips and tricks you might want to take note of.
- While this recipe calls for the use of yellow lentils, you can use canned or boiled chickpeas or even boiled kidney beans if you want to.
- We’ve used a simple seasoning mix of chaat masala and red chili powder for this recipe, but you can use almost any other seasoning mix of your choice. Peri peri seasoning can be a great choice.
- If you can, use cherry tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes. Halved cherry tomatoes look so much better in this salad.
- If you don’t have lemon juice, a dash of apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar can do the trick.
- Another great idea is to skip adding any of the seasonings mentioned, and just use any simple salad dressing of your choice.
- If you want some extra protein into the salad, you can add some crumbled cottage cheese or feta cheese into it as well.
- Boiled golden corn is another great veggie you can consider adding into the mix.
- If you don’t like the pungent flavor of raw onions, you can use pickled onions as an alternative.
- To make this salad a complete filling meal, you can add some seasoned cooked quinoa or couscous into it.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This easy vegan yellow lentil salad can be served on its own as a light meal, or as a side salad to any of your mains.
This salad can be a great teammate to any Indian vegan curry or rice dish.
You can also use this salad as a filling for your homemade wraps and rolls.
If you enjoyed trying this salad and are looking to experiment with some more flavourful and delicious salad recipes, here are a few good ones you might want to check out.
Vegan Yellow Lentil Salad
- ½ cup Yellow Lentils
- ¼ cup Onions , (chopped)
- 1 medium Tomatoes , (chopped)
- ½ inch Ginger , (julienne)
- 1 tablespoon Green Chilies , (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Raw Mango , (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Oil
- ½ lemon Lemon Juice
- 2-3 tablespoon Coriander Leaves, (chopped)
- Soak the yellow lentils in water for at least 45 minutes or until they have absorbed water and are soft.
- Then, drain them of the water and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients in batches and keep mixing.
- Serve with a slice of lemon on the side for that extra zingy effect.
Leave a Reply