Indian curries are known for their bold, spicy flavors, and this special mutton masala curry packs in just that and more!
Tender chunks of mutton are swimming in a delicious and rich base of a yogurt based curry, which tastes perfect with some steamed rice or piping hot naan bread.
If you’re looking for a curry recipe that has all the delicious, spicy flavors that you want to enjoy, but still isn’t too complicated and time intensive, this is the recipe you’ve got to try.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make this special mutton masala curry, here’s what you’ll need.
For the spice mix
- Dry red chilies: 8-10
- Coriander seeds: 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tbsp
- Black pepper (whole): 3 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 tsp
- Carom seeds: 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves: 1 tbsp
- Star anise: 1
- Green cardamom: 2-3
- Mace: ½
For the mutton marination
- Mutton: 300 grams
- Curd: 1.5 cups
- Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Green chilies (slit): 1-2
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
For the mutton curry
- Mustard Oil: 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Bay leaf: 1
- Star anise: 1
- Dry red chilies: 1
- Mace: ½
- Onions (sliced): 2 cups
- Green chilies (roughly chopped): 2-3
- Marinated mutton
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Prepared spice mix
- Water: 1.5 cups
- Coriander leaves (roughly chopped): ¼ cup
- Potatoes (roughly chopped): 1 medium
How to Make the Special Mutton Masala Curry
Got all your ingredients ready? Here’s what you’ll need to do next to make this easy mutton masala curry.
For the spice mix, dry roast the spices on a pan and grind them into a fine powder.
For the mutton marination, take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients. Marinate and keep aside for at least 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, star anise, dry red chilies, and mace. Saute.
Add the sliced onions and green chilies. Saute. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the marinated mutton next and mix well.
Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and the prepared spice mix next. Mix well. Let the mixture cook for 2 minutes.
Add water next and mix well.
Lastly, add the roughly chopped coriander leaves and potatoes. Mix well.
Pressure cook the mutton for 4-5 whistles or until it's completely cooked.
Serve hot with rice of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can also just use some of my easy to make curry masala if you don’t want to scratch-make the spice mix for this curry recipe.
Another great option is to use some garam masala powder or some basic curry paste.
Just like any other curry, you can store these leftovers in a clean container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Since this curry isn’t vegetarian, I wouldn’t advise you storing it beyond that.
You can also choose to make the curry in a big batch and freeze it for months if you want to.
Then, when you want to enjoy it, all you need to do is defrost it and reheat it.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Special Mutton Masala Curry
Making this special mutton masala curry is pretty straightforward, but you might want to take note of these little tips and tricks too.
- While the recipe calls for the mutton to be marinated for 15 minutes, I would highly recommend letting it marinate for 2-3 hours, if not more.
- Marinating the meat in the yogurt helps soften it and also makes the curry more flavorful.
- If you want the curry to have some more tangy flavor, you can add some pureed tomatoes into the mix too. Just make sure you let it simmer for a few extra minutes so that they are cooked.
- You can also add some more whisked yogurt into the curry towards the end if you want some more of that rich gravy.
- Another easy trick to get some extra flavor into the curry is to let the onions brown nicely before you add the mutton into it. To speed up this process, you can sprinkle some salt into it while you’re sauteeing it.
- To make sure that the mutton is all cooked evenly, keep the chunks roughly the same size.
- While you can choose to use boneless cuts of the meat if you want to, I would highly recommend using bone-in chunks, as they can lend the curry the maximum flavor.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Just like any other Indian curry, this special mutton masala curry tastes perfect when paired with some naan or steamed rice.
If you enjoyed this Indian curry, and are inspired to try some more interesting curry recipes, here are a few good options to pick from.
Special Mutton Masala Curry
Ingredients For the spice mix
- 10 Dry red chilies
- 3 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoon Black pepper (whole)
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon Carom seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon Dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 Star anise
- 3 Green cardamom
- ½ Mace
Ingredients For the mutton marination
- 300 grams Mutton
- 1.5 cups Curd
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Green chilies , (slit)
- 1 tablespoon Mustard oil
Ingredients For the mutton curry
- 2 tablespoon Mustard Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Dry red chilies
- ½ Mace
- 2 cups Onions , (sliced)
- 3 Green chilies , (roughly chopped)
- 1 bowl Marinated mutton
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 bowl Red chili powder
- 1.5 cups Water
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves, (roughly chopped)
- 1 medium Potatoes , (roughly chopped)
- For the spice mix, dry roast the spices on a pan and grind them into a fine powder.
- For the mutton marination, take a mixing bowl and add all teh ingredients. Marinate and keep aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, star anise, dry red chilies, and mace. Saute.
- Add the sliced onions and green chilies. Saute. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the marinated mutton next and mix well.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and the prepared spice mix next. Mix well. Let the mixture cook for 2minutes.
- Add water next and mix well.
- Lastly, add the roughly chopped coriander leaves and potatoes. Mix well.
- Pressure cook the mutton for 4-5 whistles or until it's completely cooked.
- Serve hot with rice of your choice.