Packed with Italian flavors, this green gram soup recipe is an absolute must try.
The soup is super delicious and incredibly healthy, making it a great meal to serve for the entire family. The flavors are versatile and subtle, which means you can pair the soup with almost any other meal of your choice.
Ready to give the recipe a shot? Scroll down to get a good look at it.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make this green gram soup, you’ll need two sets of ingredients
For the instant broth
- Onions (roughly chopped): 1
- Carrots (roughly chopped): 1
- Garlic (crushed): 5-6 cloves
- Black peppercorns: 4-5
- Leftover Moong water
- Water: ½ cup
For the soup
- Green gram: ½ cup
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Onions (chopped): ¼ cup
- Garlic powder: 1 tbsp
- Tomato (finely chopped): ¼ cup
- Mixed herb seasonings: 3 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 2 tsp
- Prepared broth
- Coriander leaves (chopped): ¼ cup
- Cheese (grated): For garnish
How to Make the Italian Green Gram Soup
Once you have the ingredients ready, here’s what you need to do to make the green gram soup
Soak the green gram in enough water for 2-3 hours. Drain the water and pressure cook the green gram for 4-5 whistles or until it turns soft and is cooked.
Separate the cooked dal from the remaining water and store the water for future use. Keep the cooked moong aside.
Again, in a pressure cooker, add the ingredients of the instant broth along with the leftover moong water from the boiling of moong and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
Once done, strain the broth and remove the veggies. Store the broth for future use.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic powder. Saute and cook for a minute.
Next, add the tomato and mix.
Add the cooked green gram and mix well.
Add the seasonings next and mix well.
Add the broth and coriander leaves next and mix well.
Let the soup simmer for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
Serve hot after garnishing with grated cheese.
Frequently Asked Questions
Along with the green gram and the tomatoes, you can also add some other veggies into the soup.
Carrots, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, potatoes and leek are all great choices. Adding them to the soup will not just make it healthier, but will also make the soup more filling.
I would recommend storing any leftovers in an airtight container before you refrigerate them.
This soup can be stored for up to 4 days and then reheated and served whenever needed.
Since the soup has green gram in it, I would recommend reheating it on low heat or in the microwave to preserve the structural integrity of the green gram.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Italian Green Gram Soup
Before you jump right into the recipe, here are a few tips and tricks you might want to take note of.
- While soaking the green gram is not absolutely necessary, I would highly recommend soaking them for at least two hours.
- Soaking lentils before cooking them helps remove any phytic acid they may have and makes the lentils easier to digest.
- This dish can come together super quick if you prepare the instant broth in advance and freeze it for later. That’s exactly what I do often, which ends up being such a time saver on weekdays.
- You can also just use a store bought veggie broth and use that instead.
- To make the soup healthier and more nutritious, you can use sprouted green gram. Sprouted lentils are known to have more nutrition and healthy goodness as opposed to regular boiled lentils.
- If you have some ghee (clarified butter), you can use it instead of the oil for the recipe.
- If you want the soup to have a bit of heat, consider adding some cayenne pepper, paprika or red chili flakes into the mix.
- You can also top the soup with some chopped Italian herbs of your choice, or just a little sprinkle of crushed black pepper.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This easy and flavourful soup is packed with protein and other nutrients which makes it a great meal in itself.
If you are making these for any guests, you can serve them with a side of crusty bread or any sandwich.
I also like to save up any leftover soup that I have, and enjoy it the next day with some steamed rice.
Inspired enough to try some more soup recipes? Here are a few good ones you might want to take a look at.
- Instant Pot Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Keto Spinach Kadhi Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Italian Green Gram Soup
Ingredients For the instant broth
- 1 Onions , (roughly chopped)
- 1 Carrots , (roughly chopped)
- 5-6 cloves Garlic , (crushed)
- 4-5 Black peppercorns
- 1 cup Leftover Moong water
- ½ cup Water
Ingredients For the soup
- ½ cup Green gram
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ cup Onions , (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- ¼ cup Tomato , (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoon Mixed herb seasonings
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 bowl Prepared broth
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves, (chopped)
- 1 cup Cheese , (grated for garnish)
- Soak the green gram in enough water for 2-3 hours. Drain the water and pressure cook the green gram for 4-5 whistles or until it turns soft and is cooked. Separate the cooked dal from the remaining water and store the water for future use. Keep the cooked moong aside.
- Again, in a pressure cooker, add the ingredients of the instant broth along with the leftover moong water from the boiling of moong and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Once done, strain the broth and remove the veggies. Store the broth for future use.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic powder. Saute and cook for a minute.
- Next, add the tomato and mix.
- Add the cooked green gram and mix well.
- Add the seasonings next and mix well.
- Add the broth and coriander leaves next and mix well.
- Let the soup simmer for 8-10 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Serve hot after garnishing with grated cheese.
Leave a Reply