Crafted with just a few simple ingredients, this Instant raw mango pickle is the perfect accompaniment to any and all of your favorite Indian dishes. This pickle, unlike most other Indian pickles, comes together in minutes, and you don’t need to let it stay in the sun too!
It has the perfect balance of spicy, salty, tangy and earthy flavors, and is a great dish to make and store for weeks- so that you can enjoy it whenever you want to.
Ready to give this easy recipe a try? Scroll down and read on to know everything you need to know about the recipe.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make this instant raw mango pickle, you’ll need two sets of ingredients.
For the spice mix
- Cumin seeds: 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds: 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds: ½ tbsp
- Carom seeds: ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 2 tbsp
For the Pickle
- Mustard oil: 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder: 2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Prepared spice mix
- Raw mango (chopped): 2 cups
- Salt: 2 tbsp
How to Make the Instant Raw Mango Pickle
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients, here’s what you’ll need to do to put the pickle together.
In a pan, dry roast the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, carom seeds, and mustard seeds. Let them cool down to room temperature.
Transfer them into a blender and grind into a fine powder. Keep aside.
Next, heat the oil in a pan. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder and saute.
Add the prepared spice mix powder next and saute. Turn off the flame.
Add the mangoes next and mix well.
Add salt and mix well.
Transfer the mangoes into a glass container and let it sit for at least 5 hours before consumption.
Store in the refrigerator and eat a few meals along with your meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
While raw mangoes remain the hero ingredient in this pickle, you can also choose to add in other mix-ins of your choice if you want to.
Whole garlic cloves are a great choice, and so are carrots (cut into sticks) and even whole green chillies.
While most other commercially available pickles can be stored at room temperature, this pickle lasts longer when refrigerated, since it uses fresh ingredients and no additives or preservatives to increase its shelf life.
Make sure you store the pickle in a clean, dry container, ideally a glass jar. This can then be refrigerated for 2-3 weeks.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Instant Raw Mango Pickle
Before you jump right into the recipe, here are a few tips and tricks you might want to keep in mind to make sure you get all the flavors and textures right.
- We’ve used mustard oil for this recipe, which lends the pickle a nice rustic and earthy flavor and aroma. If you don’t have it, you can use sesame oil, sunflower oil or any other neutral flavored cooking oil of your choice.
- The amount of red chili powder you add into this pickle will determine how spicy it will turn out. You can reduce or increase the amount you’re putting in depending on your spice tolerance.
- If you really want this pickle to have a bright red color without being too spicy, you can use Kashmiri red chili powder instead of the regular red chili powder. Kashmiri chillies are known for being much subtle in terms of taste.
- Remember that if you’re adding some more veggies or other add-ons into the pickle, you’ll need to ensure that they are cleaned thoroughly and are completely dry and free of moisture.
- When choosing mangoes for the pickle, make sure you do a quick check on the exterior and avoid choosing any mangoes that have black spots on the surface, or appear too soft and tender.
- When serving the pickle, remember to use a clean spoon, and close the lid of the container as soon as you’re done serving. The purpose of doing this is to cut down any and all chances of bacterial contamination, and to increase the shelf life of the pickle.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
The best way to serve the raw mango pickle is to have it as a side with some classic Indian dal or curry, rice and a salad.
This pickle is super versatile, so you can also enjoy it with your breakfast parathas or with some hot chapatis and a dry curry or sabzi.
If you enjoyed trying your hands at this make-ahead condiment, and are looking for some more such recipes, here’s a quick handpicked list of some great recipes.
Instant Raw Mango Pickle
Ingredients For the spice mix
- 2 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Fennel seeds
- ½ tablespoon Fenugreek seeds
- ½ tablespoon Carom seeds
- 2 tablespoon Mustard seeds
Ingredients For the Pickle
- 4 tablespoon Mustard oil
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon Red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 bowl Prepared spice mix
- 2 cups Raw mango , (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Salt
- In a pan, dry roast the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, carom seeds, and mustard seeds. Let them cool down to room temperature.
- Transfer them into a blender and grind into a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Next, heat the oil in a pan. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder and saute.
- Add the prepared spice mix powder next and saute. Turn off the flame.
- Add the mangoes next and mix well.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Transfer the mangoes into a glass container and let it sit for at least 5 hours before consumption.
- Store in the refrigerator and eat a few meals along with your meal.