French toast is a classic, delicious breakfast that you can’t go wrong with. It is easy to put together and needs minimal ingredients and kitchen time- a total win if you’re in a time crunch.
This version of the recipe is probably the quickest and most flavorful way of making it, and once you give it a shot, you’ll find yourself making it (and enjoying it) again and again.
Ready to do just that? Scroll down and read on to get a quick glimpse into everything you need to know about the recipe.
Ingredients For the Recipe
To make the fluffy French toast, you’ll need a few simple pantry staples.
- Eggs: 2
- Milk: ¼ cup
- Cinnamon powder: ½ tsp
- Salt: A pinch
- Sugar: 4-5 tablespoon or as per taste
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Bread slices: 4
- Blueberries: For garnish
- Caramel sauce (optional): For garnish
How to Make the Fluffy French Toast
Once you have your ingredients ready, here’s what you’ll need to do to make the fluffy French toast.
Take a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, milk, cinnamon powder, salt, and sugar.
Whisk the ingredients together.
Take a bread slice and dip it into the batter.
Take another bread slice and place it on top of the first slice and dip it into the batter as well.
Heat butter on a pan and add the double layered bread slice. Cook each side for 1 minute over a low and medium flame.
Repeat the above steps for the other two bread slices.
Garnish with blueberries and caramel sauce (optional) and serve hot as a delicious breakfast!
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on your personal taste preferences, you can tweak the batter for the French toast. If you love that extra caramel-y flavor and sweetness, you can add some condensed milk and skip the added sugar in the batter.
If you don’t want your French toast to be overly sweet, you can add a dash of buttermilk and reduce the amount of milk you’re adding in.
You could use almost any kind of bread to make the French toast. Challah and brioche bread are actually the best, because they have the right balance of fat and flour, which is what lends the French toast that texture and flavor you’re looking for.
If you don’t have any of these, you could just use regular sliced bread too.
For this recipe, we’ve used caramel sauce and blueberries as the toppings, but you can use pretty much any other topping of your choice, thanks to how versatile this dish is. You can use any fresh berries or chopped fruits for that extra fruitiness and flavor or crushed nuts if you prefer a bit of texture.
And of course, you can always stick to the classics like whipped cream, chocolate sauce or maple syrup.
If you have any leftovers, you can simply wrap them up in food grade paper, transfer them into Ziploc bags or in an airtight container and refrigerate them for 2-3 days.
It is best to reheat the French toast in a pan over low-medium heat, especially if you want to retain that nice texture.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Fluffy French Toast
Making the French toast may seem easy, but having these little tips and tricks up your sleeve can really help.
- If you’re slicing a loaf of bread to make the French toast, it is a good idea to start off with a thick slice as opposed to a thin one. A thicker slice will soak up all the batter nicely and have the perfect balance of crispiness on the outside and the softness on the inside.
- Eggs are a crucial part of the recipe, but if you want your French toast to have an extra rich and creamy flavor, stick to using only egg yolks. Doing this will also reduce the ‘eggy’ flavor.
- If you’re trying to make this dish healthier, you can use jaggery or honey as a sweetener instead of sugar.
- Remember to use a good quality, heavy duty pan to make the French toast. Doing this will ensure that it is cooked to perfection and crispy outside. Ideally, it is best to use a cast iron skillet or a non-stick pan.
- Another excellent way to get that nice crispiness on the outside is to sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on each side of the toast and let it cook for a few minutes until it melts, browns and clings to the bread.
- Caramelizing the bread this way will not just help you get that perfect texture and taste, but will also hold the toppings better.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
Your crispy and fluffy French toast can be served with some syrup, fresh fruits and other toppings of your choice alongside your cup of morning tea or coffee. You can also enjoy this as an easy dessert or when you’re having one of your ‘breakfast for dinner’ days.
If you enjoyed trying out this recipe and are inspired enough to give some more such recipes a shot, here are a few good ones you might want to take a look at.
Fluffy French Toast
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Milk
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 4-5 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 4 Bread Slices
- 1 bowl Blueberries
- 1 tablespoon Caramel Sauce , (for garnishing)
- Take a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, milk, cinnamon powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk the ingredients together.
- Take a bread slice and dip it into the batter.
- Take another bread slice and place it on top of the first slice and dip it into the batter as well.
- Heat butter on a pan and add the double layered bread slice. Cook each side for 1 minute over a low and medium flame.
- Repeat the above steps for the other two bread slices.
- Garnish with blueberries and caramel sauce (optional) and serve hot as a delicious breakfast!
- If you are making a large quantity of the batter then you can even make a triple layered toast as well.