Cabbage curry – Indian style and made in the instant pot. This quick and easy instant pot cabbage curry is mildly spicy, perfectly cooked and ready in just a few minutes.
I am a big fan of cabbage. It is a low-carb vegetable, which tastes great in almost everything. You can use it in salads, soups, as topping in fried rice and in making appetizers like a spring roll.
Surprisingly, cabbage soaks flavors really well and has a good crunch even after cooking. This curried cabbage or Indian cabbage curry is a recipe by my mom. When she was here a few months ago, she used to make this curry very often.
This cabbage curry is a hit in my house and will surely be in yours too. This curry is also super healthy as it uses just a teaspoon of oil. Because of the instant pot cooking, the recipe doesn’t need much oil. South Indian cabbage curries do use coconut, but my cabbage is a very simple and requires a few basic spices and some Indian curry paste.
If you want, you can skip adding the curry paste to your cabbage curry too. If you do so, add some onions, tomatoes and a spoonful of ginger garlic paste to the sautéed cumin before adding the cabbage and follow the steps as mentioned here and pressure cook.
How To Make Cabbage Curry?
Other veggies that you can add in this curry are: potatoes, green beans, carrots and cauliflower. If you want a thin curry sauce, then add ½ cup of water while pressure cooking. Once the pressure cooking time is up, you can adjust the consistency by further cooking the curry till some of the water evaporates and the curry browns really well.
There are so many variations of this cabbage curry. For a low-carb version, skip those peas and add some green beans instead. Preparing the ingredients, especially chopping the cabbage does take some time. You can always use a food processor or a chopper to chop the cabbage into bite-sized pieces.
Ingredients: 4 cups of shredded or finely chopped cabbage, ⅓ cup green peas, ¼ cup sliced onions, ½ cup chopped tomatoes, 3-4 slit green chilies, 1 teaspoon or tablespoon cooking oil, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 tablespoon Indian curry paste or bhuna masala, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 tablespoon hot curry powder, ½ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon garam masala and a pinch of cinnamon, cilantro and lime juice to garnish
Method to Cook Curry Cabbage
- Set the instant pot to the sauté mode. When the digital display indicates hot, add the cooking oil and cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds splutter, add onions and sauté for a minute and then add spices (except garam masala and cinnamon) and followed by cabbage. Mix really well.
- Add curry paste, tomatoes, salt and green peas. Give a good mix. Secure the lid and set the instant pot into pressure cooking mode for 0-minute.
- The water released from cabbage and tomatoes will help the instant pot to build pressure quick and fast. Once the cooking time is up, wait for 5 minutes and release the excess pressure.
- Now open the lid and set the instant pot into sauté mode again. Add garam masala and ground cinnamon, and sauté cabbage till water dries out.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime juice. Serve hot.
Cabbage Curry (Instant Pot)
- Instant pot
- 4 Cups shredded or finely chopped cabbage
- ⅓ Cup cup green peas
- 3-4 slit green chilies
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon Indian curry paste, (or 1/ cup chopped onions+ ½ cup tomatoes+ 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste sautéed in cumin before adding cabbage)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon hot curry powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala and a pinch of cinnamon
- cilantro and lime juice to garnish
- ¼ Cup Sliced onions
- ½ Cup Chopped tomatoes
- Set the instant pot to the sauté mode.
- When the digital display indicates hot, add the cooking oil and cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds splutter, add onions, sauté for a minute and followed by the spices (except garam masala and cinnamon) and cabbage.
- Mix really well.
- Add curry paste, tomatoes, salt and green peas. Give a good mix.
- Secure the lid and set the instant pot into pressure cooking mode for 0-minute.
- The water released from cabbage will help the instant pot to build pressure.
- Once the cooking time is up, wait for 5 minutes and release the excess pressure.
- Now open the lid and set the instant pot into sauté mode again.
- Add garam masala and cinnamon, and sauté cabbage till water dries out.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime juice. Serve hot.
- If you don’t have pre-made curry paste, add 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste, ¾ cup chopped onions and ½ cup chopped tomatoes to the oil after cumin splutters.
- Allow the mixture to cook and become mushy before adding cabbage, spices and peas.
- Proceed to pressure cook and follow rest of the steps as mentioned.
We eat curries almost every week for dinner. If you need some more curry inspirations, here are a few:
What should you serve with cabbage curry?
Serve this cabbage curry with rice, brown rice, roti, Indian naan, quinoa and cauliflower rice.