These air fried watermelon rind crispies are a super healthy and delicious snack that you can put together using the rind of the watermelon- a part of the fruit you usually end up throwing.
With just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of kitchen time, this snack comes together, and turns out to be a great healthy snack that you’ll find yourself enjoying.
Interested and ready to try out this recipe? Here’s all you need to know about making it the right way.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just a few ingredients to make the air fried watermelon rind crispies.
- Watermelon rind (grated and squeezed): 1 cup
- Sesame seeds: 1 tbsp
- Green chilies (finely chopped): ½ tbsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped): ¼ cup
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: ½ tsp
- Baking soda: 1 tsp
- Besan: 1 cup or as required
How to Make the Air Fried Watermelon Rind Crispies
Once you have your ingredients ready, here is what you will need to do to make the air fried watermelon rind crispies.
In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well. You might have to add either a little more or less of the besan depending on how much water the watermelon rind is letting out.
Use as much as possible until you are able to absorb all the water and get a smooth paste like consistency.
Pre-heat the air fryer at 200℃ for 5 minutes.
Take small scoops of the mixture and transfer them as blobs into the air fryer and cook them at 200℃ for 12-13 minutes or until they turn golden brown and soft.
Once they are cooked, serve them with a dip of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have used simple seasonings for these watermelon rind crispies- red chili powder, some chopped green chillies and salt. You can choose to tweak and play around with other seasonings too.
Peri peri seasoning, garam masala powder and Italian seasoning are all excellent choices.
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Use an airtight container or a plastic container with a lid to keep the crispies fresh.
I would recommend reheating them in the Air Fryer because it will make them crispy. You can choose to microwave them too but they will end up losing their crispy texture if you do so.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fried Watermelon Rind Crispies
While the recipe for this air fried watermelon rind crispies is super simple, you might want to take note of these tips and tricks as well.
- I have used besan, which is chickpea flour to coat the watermelon rind. If you want these crispies to be more crunchy, you can choose to add some rice flour to the mixture too.
- To lend some extra flavor to these watermelon rind crispies, you can add a bit of chopped garlic or some garlic powder into the mixture.
- Make sure you use cooking spray or some olive oil to grease the Air Fryer basket before you add the crispies in. This will help keep the crispies from sticking to the basket.
- You can also choose to layer a sheet of parchment paper in the basket before you add in the blobs of the watermelon crispies. Just remember to make a few holes in the parchment paper to allow the hot air to circulate through well.
- Arrange the crispies in a single layer in the basket- avoid overcrowding the basket, as it can affect how your watermelon crispies turn out in terms of texture.
- The baking soda is what helps make these blobs more crispy, and also helps make them fluffy on the inside. You can skip using it if you don’t have it at hand.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These watermelon rind crispies are meant to be served as a side dish or a snack. You can enjoy them on their own or serve them with a dipping sauce of your choice.
They taste perfect when teamed up with some ketchup, mayonnaise or mustard.
Enjoyed making this easy snack? Looking to try out some more snack recipes? Here are a few handpicked ones you might want to check out.
Air Fried Watermelon Rind Crispies
- 1 cup Watermelon rind , (grated and squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon Green chilies , (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves, (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 cup Besan
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well. You might have to add either a little more or less of the besan depending on how much water the watermelon rind is letting out. Use as much as possible until you are able to absorb all the water and get a smooth paste like consistency.
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 200℃ for 5 minutes.
- Take small scoops of the mixture and transfer them as blobs into the air fryer and cook them at 200℃ for12-13 minutes or until they turn golden brown and soft.
- Once they are cooked, serve them with a dip of your choice.