These air fried mirchi bhajjis are the perfect spicy and tangy appetizer for your house parties, or as a snack for those evenings when you want to enjoy something delicious. They are incredibly easy to make, and are sure to take your tastebuds on a joyride.
Scroll down and read on to discover everything you need to know about making them.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just a few simple pantry essentials apart from the large green chillies to put these air fried mirchi bhajjis together.
- Tamarind paste: ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Bhajji chilies (large green chilies): 4-5
- Besan: ½ cup
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 2 tsps
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1.5 tsps or as per taste
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Water: As required
For the Green chutney
- Coriander leaves: A bunch
- Mint leaves: ½ cup
- Garlic cloves: 8-10
- Green chilies: 3-5
- Salt: 2 tsps or as per taste
- Lemon juice: Half a lemon
How to Make the Air Fried Mirchi Bhajjis
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here’s the step by step process you’ll need to follow to make the bhajjis.
Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
In a bowl, add the tamarind paste and cumin seeds. Mix them.
Take the bhajji chilies and make slits at the center.
Using a spoon, put the tamarind and cumin seeds mixture into the slits.
Next, take a bowl and mix the following ingredients: besan, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder, salt, and garam masala. Add water little by little and make a paste of the besan mixture. The consistency of the mixture should be flowy.
Add the bhajji chilies into the besan mixture and coat them well.
Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
Transfer the coated bhajji chilies to the air fryer basket and spray a bit of oil on them, and cook them at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until they are done.
You can flip them once in between so that they are cooked well.
For the green chutney, blend everything together in a blender. Adjust salt and lemon juice if required.
Serve the bhajji chilies hot with green chutney as a snack.
Frequently Asked Questions
While this recipe calls for the chillies to be stuffed with the tamarind mixture to give the bhajjis the distinct tangy flavor, you can actually go ahead and experiment with other ingredients too.
Cottage cheese, when mixed with spices, can also be an excellent healthy filling option you can consider. You can also add some veggies as a stuffing if you
Yes! One of the best things about these air fried mirchi bhajjis is the fact that they can be made in advance and then air fried the day you want to enjoy them. The chillies can be stuffed upto 3 days in advance and refrigerated until they are ready to be battered and air fried.
The green chutney can also be batch made and stored in the refrigerator, and can stay fresh in there for a week or more.
Got some leftovers? While you can always store them in an airtight container and then air fry them once again when you want to enjoy them, they obviously can’t last very long that way. One good trick to put them to use is to craft a curry around them and turn it into your meal for the next day. Mirchi bhajji curry is actually an incredibly flavorful recipe that you can whip up in your kitchen in minutes, and even put those extra bhajjis to use.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Air Fried Mirchi Bhajjis
Making these air fried bhajjis might be simple, but you’ve got to take note of these little tricks and hacks that can really make a difference.
- If you are concerned about the spiciness of the chillies, you can remove the seeds and the white pith on the inside, and then fill the chillies with the stuffing.
- Make sure the chillies are washed and completely dry before you stuff them with the filling, especially if you are planning to prep and refrigerate them.
- When air frying the bhajjis, make sure you leave a little space between each bhajji and don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- To make the bhajjis more crispy, add a bit of rice flour along with the chickpea flour (besan) while making the batter.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These crispy and flavorful air fried mirchi bhajjis taste perfect when teamed up with the spicy green chutney, or rather any other dip or chutney of your choice. If you don’t have the time to make any of these, some good old tomato ketchup can work just fine along with these fritters.
Loved how easy it was to make this? Looking for some more easy appetizers you can make using your air fryer? We have you covered! Here are a few good ones you can try out.
- Air Fried Raw Mango Cutlets with Tamarind Chutney
- Air Fried Spring Onion Pakoras with Green Chutney and Salad
- Air Fried Tandoori Mushrooms with Green Chutney
Air Fried Mirchi Bhajjis with Tangy Surprise
Ingredients for the Mirchi Bhajjis
- ¼ cup Tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 5 pcs Bhajji Chilies , (large green chilies)
- ½ cup Besan
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 cup Water
Ingredients For the Green chutney
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves
- ½ cup Mint leaves
- 10 pcs Garlic cloves
- 5 pcs Green chilies
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- ½ lemon Lemon juice
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the tamarind paste and cumin seeds. Mix them.
- Take the Bhajji Chilies and makes lits at the center.
- Using a spoon, put the tamarind and cumin seeds mixture into teh slits.
- Next, take a bowl and mix the following ingredients: besan, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder, salt, and garam masala. Add water little by little and make a paste of the besan mixture. The consistency of the mixture should be flowy.
- Add the Bhajji chilies into the besan mixture and coat them well.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil.
- Transfer the coated Bhajji chilies to the air fryer basket and spray a bit of oil on them, and cook them at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until they are done.
- You can flip them once in between so that they are cooked well.
- For the green chutney, blend everything together in a blender. Adjust salt and lemon juice if required.
- Serve the Bhajji chilies hot with green chutney as a snack.