This spicy boiled eggs recipe is the perfect way to put some hard boiled eggs to use.
With simple ingredients and an easy cooking process, this recipe is sure to become your next favorite way to eat eggs
They’re spicy, full of flavor, and packed with protein and fiber.
You can serve this with your favorite meals, or enjoy them as a healthy snack or even have them for breakfast.
Ingredients For the Spicy Boiled Eggs Recipe
To make the spicy boiled egg, here’s what you’ll need.
- Tomato: 1
- Garlic cloves: 4-5
- Dry red chili: 2
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped): 2 tbsp
- Green chilies (finely chopped): 2 tbsp
- Onions (sliced): ¼ cup
- Potatoes (very thin batons or grated): ¼ cup
- Kasundi (mustard sauce): 3 tbsps
- Boiled egg (with slits): 3
How to Make Spicy Boiled Eggs
Got all the ingredients ready? Here’s what you’ll need to do next to make the spicy boiled eggs.
Take a skewer and insert the tomato, garlic cloves, and dry red chilies into it.
Then roast them over open flame or directly over fire.
Once they are roasted, transfer them into a bowl. You can remove the black burnt skin of the tomato.
Mash the tomato, garlic, and dry red chilies together.
Next, add the chopped coriander and green chilies along with the salt and mix.
Add the onions and potatoes next and mix well.
Add kasundi and mix.
Take a stainless steel container and transfer the mixture to it.
Top the mixture up with the boiled eggs. You can mix the eggs with the mixture.
Close the container with a lid and steam it for 15-20 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy with rice of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
In addition to the ingredients that I’ve used, you can also add some other veggies of your choice.
Thinly sliced bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, sweet, potato, and baby corn or all great additions you could consider.
If you have any leftovers, you can move them to an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to a day- not beyond that point. I would recommend reheating them in the microwave with a little splash of water to get them nice and moist.
You can also use the leftovers as a filling for your homemade sandwiches and wraps.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Spicy Boiled Egg
Think you are ready to give the recipe a try? Here are some tips and tricks you might want to take note of
- If you don’t have the kasundi that the recipe calls for, you can make do with some classic American mustard sauce too.
- You can also try other seasonings and sauces instead of mustard. Peri Peri seasoning, Ranch and tandoori seasoning are all great choices.
- Cumin powder can be another wonderful addition to the mixture. It lends a beautiful aromatic nutty flavor to the eggs.
- The tomato based paste can be prepared days in advance and refrigerated. In fact, you can use this tomato paste for a lot of different recipes too- it is super versatile that way
- You can actually prepare the dish in advance too. Simply hard boil the eggs for up to 3 days in advance and refrigerate them. Then, when you want to put this dish together, all you need to do is top the spicy mixture on the eggs and cook them together for a few minutes.
- Remember not to mix the egg too much with the tomato mixture, or it will turn it into a lumpy mess.
- If you want, you can also chop the eggs into one into 1 inch pieces and then mix them with the tomato mixture.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These spicy boiled eggs can be enjoyed for breakfast, or as a healthy snack on its own.
You can also serve it as a side dish with any of your favorite mean meals or team it up with some chapati or roti to make it a main dish.
Looking for some more egg recipes to try out here are a few handpicked ones you might want to take a look at
Spicy Steamed Egg
- 1 Tomato
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Leaves , (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon Green Chilies , (finelychopped)
- ¼ cup Onions , (sliced)
- ¼ cup Potatoes , (very thin batons or grated)
- 3 tablespoon Kasundi , (mustard sauce)
- 3 Boiled Egg , (with slits)
- Take a skewer and insert the tomato, garlic cloves, and dry red chilies into it. Then roast them over open flame or directly over fire.
- Once they are roasted, transfer them into a bowl. You can remove the black burnt skin of the tomato.
- Mash the tomato, garlic, and dry red chilies together.
- Next, add the chopped coriander and green chilies along with the salt and mix.
- Add the onions and potatoes next and mix well.
- Add kasundi and mix.
- Take a stainless steel container and transfer the mixture to it.
- Top the mixture up with the boiled eggs. You can mix the eggs with the mixture.
- Close the container witha lid and steam it for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy with rice of your choice.