Kanji, which is basically a carrot and beetroot probiotic drink is an incredibly healthy Indian drink that is popularly consumed during the winter months of the year
Think of it as an Indian kombucha that packs in a lot of probiotic properties that help aid digestion and improve gut health, which in turn, boosts immunity.
The drink has a unique and complex flavor, but is really simple and easy to make. Best of all, you can also bring in some variations to achieve that perfect flavor you’re looking for.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You will you just a few simple ingredients to make the carrot and beetroot probiotic drink
- Beetroots (roughly chopped): 2 medium sized
- Carrots (roughly chopped): 1 large
- Sea salt: 1 tsp
- Mustard powder: 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: ¼ tsp
- Water: As required
How to Make the Carrot & Beetroot Probiotic Drink
Once you have all your ingredients ready, here is what you will need to do to make the Kanji from scratch.
Take a 1 liter water jar.
Add in all the ingredients one by one.
Add water and mix everything. Leave at least 3-4 fingers gap between the liquid and the cover of the jar.
Take a clean cloth and cover the mouth of the jar with the help of an elastic band.
Keep the jar in a spot that catches the sun indirectly. The jar has to be kept at room temperature.
Keep the jar covered for 4 days. Every morning remove the cloth and store the mixture. Then place the cloth again.
The probiotic drink will be ready after 4 days. Enjoy it by keeping it in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can also bring in a bit of variation into this recipe by adding some turnips or peeled watermelon rind into the mixture.
Just like with the other veggies, you’ll want to make sure they’re completely clean before you add them into the mix.
You can store your leftover Kanji in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. I would recommend finishing it up within two days to get the maximum benefits out of it.
Also remember to use a clean spoon or cup to pour it out. This will help keep the bad bacteria from growing inside the carrot and beetroot probiotic drink.
Tips & Tricks to Make the Carrot & Beetroot Probiotic Drink
While making the Kanji is super easy, you might want to take note of these tips and tricks as well
- Make sure you use the best quality, tender and juicy carrots for this recipe. It will really make a difference in how the end flavors turn out.
- I chopped the carrots and beetroot into small cubes, but you can also chop them into batons or sticks or even wedges if you want to- it all depends on what you prefer.
- I have used yellow mustard for this recipe but if you don’t have it, you can use black or brown mustard instead. Just remember to half the amount of mustard you are using as black or brown mustard can be quite intense.
- Make sure you use sea salt or pink Himalayan salt for this recipe. Using iodised salt or table salt won’t allow the good bacteria to grow and will stop the fermentation process, which is not what you would want.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
You can sip on the Kanji as a healthy drink at any time of the day. I would recommend adding a few ice cubes into the mix right before you serve as Kanji can taste perfect when you have it chilled.
The pieces of the carrots and beetroot can also be used as a side dish with any of your Indian meals. They have a nice tangy and salty flavor which can complement any of your Indian meals.
In fact, you can also add them into your salads and grain bowls to enhance their flavor and to bring a bit of deliciousness into them.
Enjoyed this unique and easy recipe? Inspired to try some more such recipes? Here are a few good fermented food recipes you might want to try out.
Carrot & Beetroot Probiotic Drink
- 2 medium Beetroots , (roughly chopped)
- 1 large Carrots , (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 litre Water
- Take a 1 liter water jar.
- Add in all the ingredients one by one.
- Add water and mix everything. Leave at least 3-4 fingers gap between the liquid and the cover of the jar.
- Take a clean cloth and cover the mouth of the jar with the help of an elastic band.
- Keep the jar in a spot that catches the sun indirectly. The jar has to be kept at room temperature.
- Keep the jar covered for 4 days. Every morning remove the cloth and store the mixture. Then place the cloth again.
- The probiotic drink will be ready after 4 days. Enjoy it by keeping it in the refrigerator.